Par­ents hit out af­ter painkillers scare at pri­mary school

Young­ster handed tablets out to other pupils

Paisley Daily Express - - Front Page - David Camp­bell

Safety fears have been raised af­ter a pupil was caught hand­ing out pow­er­ful painkillers at a Pais­ley pri­mary school.

The young­ster, be­lieved to be in P3, dis­cov­ered po­ten­tially dan­ger­ous Sol­padol pills at Bushes Pri­mary and gave them to three other chil­dren.

Worried par­ents from the Glen­burn school – which also has a nurs­ery at­tached – say they have been given scant in­for­ma­tion by ed­u­ca­tion of­fi­cials fol­low­ing the in­ci­dent.

A text mes­sage was sent out on Mon­day de­scrib­ing what had hap­pened, but of­fered lit­tle ad­vice.

It con­cluded: “If you have any con­cerns or are worried that your child may have taken a tablet please con­tact your GP or NHS 24.”

One con­cerned mum, who asked not to be named, says she has con­cerns about the way the po­ten­tially dan­ger­ous episode was han­dled by school staff.

She said: “This was ob­vi­ously a se­ri­ous in­ci­dent which could have had re­ally se­ri­ous con­se­quences.

“We feel that much more in­for­ma­tion should have been made avail­able to par­ents. We got a dis­jointed text mes­sage from the school, say­ing ‘ad­vice to fol­low’ but we never heard any more.

“We got a let­ter the day af­ter dog poo was found in the play­ground, but noth­ing like that for this.

“There is a feel­ing that we have not been kept prop­erly in­formed about this. We feel it is be­ing kept quiet.”

Sol­padol is a brand name for coco­damol, a pow­er­ful painkiller made up of parac­eta­mol and codeine, and should not be given to chil­dren un­der 12 ac­cord­ing to the NHS.

Ren­frew­shire Coun­cil ed­u­ca­tion chiefs say that no chil­dren were harmed dur­ing the in­ci­dent.

A spokes­woman said: “There was an in­ci­dent at the end of the school day on Mon­day at Bushes Pri­mary School in Pais­ley, where a pupil was found hand­ing out Sol­padol tablets to three other chil­dren.

“The pupil was un­aware of what they were and no child was harmed.

“As soon as the school was made aware of the in­ci­dent, a text mes­sage was sent to all par­ents and car­ers to check if their child had been given any tablets. If so, they were ad­vised to dis­pose of them safely.”

Con­cerns Bushes Pri­mary School

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.