Perfect Wedding Magazine - - Plan your Wedding -

What is the dif­fer­ence be­tween civil part­ner­ship and mar­riage?

A: Apart from the word­ing and process of the ac­tual cer­e­monies, the main dif­fer­ences come down to le­gal­i­ties. For ex­am­ple, civil part­ners do not have the same pen­sion rights as mar­ried cou­ples. Visit for a de­tailed guide to the com­par­isons.

Can I con­vert my civil part­ner­ship to a mar­riage?

A: Yes – you can visit your lo­cal reg­is­ter of­fice for a straight­for­ward con­ver­sion or have a cer­e­mony at an ap­proved venue with a regis­trar. You’ll both need to be present and bring proof of ID and of your civil part­ner­ship – you’ll then be is­sued with a mar­riage cer­tifi­cate. For more info, visit the­gay­wed­ding­

Can same-sex cou­ples have a church wed­ding?

A: Yes, but only if the gov­ern­ing body of the re­li­gious or­gan­i­sa­tion has opted in to con­sent of same-sex mar­riage, the in­di­vid­ual min­is­ter is happy to con­duct the mar­riage and the church it­self is reg­is­tered for same-sex cer­e­monies.

Which churches recog­nise same-sex wed­dings?

A: The Jewish and Quaker churches of­fer same-sex cer­e­monies – you’ll just need to give notice to the reg­is­ter of­fice 16 days be­fore the cer­e­mony. Same-sex wed­dings can­not cur­rently take place in Angli­can churches.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.