Removing rust and paint layers
Rust and accumulated layers of paint cause metal windows to distort, resulting in leaks and draughts and gradual deterioration, so maintenance is vital.
● Clean off surface rust using wire brushes and abrasive paper.
● Apply chemical paint removers and scrape away paint.
● Use peel away poultice systems to remove multiple layers of paint.
● Remember that hot air guns are ineffective on metal as heat is conducted away.
● Unprotected metal windows will quickly accumulate surface rust so apply a rust inhibitor or priming coat as soon as practical.