Raped on CCTV in The Sta­tion Car Park

As­saulted by stranger at train sta­tion Good Sa­mar­i­tan res­cued me Try­ing to move on

Pick Me Up! - - OUR PICK ME UPS! - Emma Tay­lor, 35, Spon­don, Derby

Pick­ing up my phone, I quickly mes­saged my mum and sis­ter. Fancy a drink? I asked. Within min­utes, we’d de­cided to meet in the lo­cal pub. I was pleased.

It was 3 Oc­to­ber 2015, my daugh­ter’s fourth birth­day – only I hadn’t spent the day help­ing her un­wrap pre­sents.

Sadly, fol­low­ing a nasty split with her dad, he’d got cus­tody.

Not a day went by when I didn’t miss her ter­ri­bly. Even­tu­ally, I’d met some­one. Only his charm­ing ar­mour soon slipped, and he be­came con­trol­ling and ag­gres­sive.

Then he turned vi­o­lent. A kick here, a punch there...

Ter­ri­fied, I did what I could to keep the peace. But the ver­bal and phys­i­cal abuse eroded my con­fi­dence. Then, one night, I snapped. Enough!

Af­ter re­port­ing my abu­sive ex, he ad­mit­ted as­sault oc­ca­sion­ing ac­tual bod­ily harm, was jailed for 18 months.

Although re­lieved, I was haunted by the at­tacks.

Coun­selling helped, but my once-bub­bly per­son­al­ity had van­ished. Apart from my clos­est fam­ily, I cut my­self off.

A night out

So when my mum Julie and sis­ter Stacey agreed to a night out, I jumped at the chance.

I needed some com­pany – the pain of not see­ing my lit­tle girl on her birth­day was too much.

Half an hour later, I was in the pub.

We had a cou­ple of drinks, and I had a few games of pool.

A cou­ple of hours later, around 9.30pm, I de­cided to call it a night.

But as I left the pub, every­thing started to feel hazy.

I hadn’t drunk a lot, yet I felt drowsy.

Then every­thing went blank.

The next thing, I was sit­ting in a room with a po­lice of­fi­cer.

‘What’s hap­pened?’ I asked, panic ris­ing.

The of­fi­cer’s face looked grave. He ex­plained that I’d been at­tacked and was in a po­lice sta­tion.

‘No!’ I gasped. I be­gan to shake all over. ‘We be­lieve you may have been as­saulted,’ the of­fi­cer added gen­tly.

As I started to calm down, I re­alised my whole body ached.

‘Did you con­sent to hav­ing sex with a man tonight?’ the of­fi­cer asked.

‘What?!’ The words spun around my head. ‘Are you se­ri­ous?’ ‘Yes,’ he nod­ded. I des­per­ately tried to re­mem­ber. But all I could re­call was leav­ing the pub.

Con­fused, I told my­self there

I felt drowsy. Then every­thing went blank...

must have been a mis­take.

But as the of­fi­cer stood me up, he ex­plained he’d take me home and come round the fol­low­ing day.

‘Try not to have a wash or a bath,’ he told me.

My head was pound­ing and my eyes were be­gin­ning to droop again as he drove me to Mum’s.


When Stacey an­swered, she looked as con­fused as me.

Af­ter the po­lice­man had ex­plained, she led me to the couch.

I tried to tell Stacey I was OK, but I strug­gled to stay awake.

She held my hand as I dozed off.

The fol­low­ing morn­ing, another po­lice of­fi­cer vis­ited. She ex­plained I needed to go with her to a spe­cial­ist cen­tre to give a state­ment and be ex­am­ined.

That’s when the enor­mity of it hit me. I’d been at­tacked, and some­one had vi­o­lated me in the worst pos­si­ble way.

Yet I’d no rec­ol­lec­tion of it. I lis­tened as the of­fi­cer ex­plained they had CCTV footage show­ing a man forc­ing him­self on me in the car park of Spon­don rail­way sta­tion.

A wit­ness had also come for­ward. De­spite be­ing in a wheel­chair, she’d tried to drag my at­tacker off me, helped me get dressed and called the po­lice.

Stunned, I tried to make sense of it all.

‘Why can’t I re­mem­ber?’ I asked my­self over and over.

I’d only had a few drinks – not enough to knock me out.

Had my drink been spiked?

Af­ter I was ex­am­ined, the doc­tor pre­scribed med­i­ca­tion in case the man who’d sex­u­ally as­saulted me was HIV pos­i­tive.

I was hor­ri­fied. It felt like my world was col­laps­ing.

Two days later, the po­lice called to say a man called Brian Henry had been ar­rested on sus­pi­cion of rape.

It was all too much. Des­per­ate to block it all out, I started drink­ing heav­ily. But, no mat­ter how hard I tried, ter­ri­ble im­ages flooded my mind. I couldn’t sleep, was scared to leave the house.

One night, I took an over­dose at Mum’s.

Mum must’ve called an am­bu­lance. I awoke in hos­pi­tal. ‘Don’t let him win,’ Mum said. A doc­tor told me I could go into a re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion clinic to get the help I needed. Not sure what else to do, I agreed.

Thank­fully, the coun­selling helped. But I was still anx­ious and strug­gled to go out alone.

Finally, at Derby Crown Court, in Jan­uary last year, Brian Henry, 30, ad­mit­ted rape.

CCTV re­vealed Henry talk­ing to me be­fore forc­ing him­self on me.

Im­me­di­ately af­ter, a woman in a wheel­chair ap­proached. ‘Do you want this?’ she asked. ‘No,’ I said.

Wor­ried, she called the po­lice. The court heard Henry had nu­mer­ous con­vic­tions and court ap­pear­ances, although none for any­thing re­lated to rape or sex­ual as­sault.

At the time of the of­fence, he’d been re­leased from prison on li­cence just days be­fore, for harass­ment.

Henry was jailed for six and a half years.

And the wit­ness was awarded £500 for her brav­ery. It gave me clo­sure and, slowly, with in­tense coun­selling, I started to feel bet­ter.

I’ve since met a new part­ner, and life is be­gin­ning to feel much kin­der.

What that man did to me was hor­ren­dous. I’ll never truly get over it, es­pe­cially as it was on my daugh­ter’s birth­day.

But I won’t let Henry ruin the rest of my life.

He won’t beat me.

Ter­ri­ble im­ages flooded my mind. I couldn’t sleep

at­tacker: Henry

It hap­pened at the train sta­tion

With my sis­ter Stacey

I told my­self It was all an aw­ful mis­take

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.