Health & Happiness: Choking Hazard + A Stroke At 2!
Sarah has the Fairy Princess to thank for saving baby Luke
Glancing over, I noticed Luke’s face was bright red
Sarah Rees, 33,
Watching The Chokeables advert on Facebook, I chuckled. The quirky St John Ambulance video explained what to do if your child is choking.
Though fun, the invaluable advice stuck…
One afternoon, in February 2015, my son Leon, then 4, had just returned home from school and was playing on the floor with his 20-monthold brother Luke.
While the boys mucked about with their toys, I was on the sofa chatting to my mum Linda over the phone.
I noticed Luke’s face was turning red, and his expression was one of panic.
In his hand I saw an action figure with a gun that shot soft balls.
Within a second, I’d put it together – my baby was choking!
I leapt up straightaway and ran to Luke’s aid.
Recalling the advert,
I heard David Walliams’ voice as the Fairy Princess in my head telling me what to do.
If your baby is choking, lay them face down on your thigh. Then one gives up to five back blows.
So I did just that. ‘Come on Luke!’ I cried, as Leon looked on in shock.
I was terrified as my poor boy silently retched.
Lifting him up, I looked into his mouth and saw a tiny ball at the back of his throat.
So I turned him back over and carried on giving sharp blows to his back.
Just then, my husband Stephen, 35, arrived home. ‘Luke’s choking!’ I screeched. As fast as lightning, Stephen got underneath Luke’s head as it lay across my lap, and tried to stick his fingers into Luke’s mouth to scoop out the ball.
Thankfully, it worked – we were so relieved when Luke finally coughed up the ball onto the floor and began to wail. ‘Thank goodness!’ I cried. Stephen rang the NHS helpline, and was guided through some checks, but Luke was completely fine.
Luke soon calmed down. Relieved, I shared The Chokeables on Facebook again.
You never know when it might help another mum!
Luke loves playing with Leon
The Fairy Princess in the video