Delight your friends with a personalised coaster or use as place names for a special dinner
You will need
• Self-adhesive frame stencil
(try Decoart, hobbycraft.co.uk)
• Set of plain marble coasters
(£15 for 4, Marks & Spencer, marksandspencer.com)
• Small paint brush
• Gold paint (such as Liquid Leaf)
• Straight calligraphy penholder
• Nikko G nib
• Water-resistant black ink
• Pink pen suitable for multi-surface decoration (such as Edding 751-009)
❶ Position the self-adhesive stencil on to the centre of the plain coaster. Dip a small paint brush into the gold paint and dab on to the stencil. Use only a small amount of paint. Allow to dry then peel off the stencil.
❷ Look online for a calligraphy alphabet for inspiration. Before applying a name to the centre of the gold frame, practise using a calligraphy penholder and nib. Apply the basic rules for an authentic style: fine upward strokes and thicker downward strokes.
❸ Apply additional decoration with a combination of diagonal lines and dots using a ruler and pink pen.
White wood scatter snowflakes, ➺ £2.95 for 21, Pipii