Kerriann’s dog got himself into a right flap over a cat…
Carrying a mug of steaming coffee, I settled myself on the couch and opened up my laptop. It was a Saturday afternoon in April this year, and I had the house all to myself. ‘Perfect,’ I grinned.
A full-time author, I had hours of uninterrupted writing time stretching out in front of me.
My partner, Graham, had gone out kayaking, and I’d left Hugo, my Chorkie – that’s a ChihuahuaYorkshire terrier cross – to his own devices.
He was probably roaming about the house. I knew he certainly wouldn’t be up to any mischief…
Hugo, three, was pretty aloof and usually kept himself to himself.
The only time he got animated was if a cat crossed his path.
He’d chase after it as fast as his titchy legs would carry him!
A short time later, I was busily typing away when...
‘Hugo must have spotted a fox,’ I thought absent-mindedly, tapping at the keys.
But Hugo wasn’t letting up. His yelps were getting louder and more urgent
So, I went into the garden… and gasped with shock. ‘Oh, my God,’ I cried. Hugo was trapped in our metal garden gate! With half his body inside and the other half out, he was shaking with fear and looked petrified. How had he ended up there?!
I felt sick to my stomach. ‘My poor pup,’ I cried, trying to ease him free.
But my cowering canine couldn’t move. He was stuck in the gate!
Crouching next to him and stroking his fur, I tried to make him feel better.
‘You’ll be OK,’ I soothed. Poor Hugo had a scowl on his face.
I had to get help, so I raced back inside and grabbed my phone to call the fire brigade.
But as I was about to dial 999, I caught a quick glimpse of something orange out of the corner of my eye…
There, in our driveway, was a ginger tomcat.
He was surveying Hugo’s predicament with a smug smirk on his furry face.
Had Hugo got stuck trying to chase that tomcat?
I wouldn’t have put it past him. Only, when he’d tried to follow it through a gap in the gate, he’d ended up trapped!
No wonder the moggy looked like the cat who got the cream!
I got through to the emergency services. ‘I’m so sorry to bother you with this, but my dog is trapped in our gate,’ I told the operator, feeling highly embarrassed.
Thankfully, a fire crew arrived within 20 minutes and quickly took control of the situation.
Using a tool to prise the metal railings further apart, they were able to create enough space for Hugo to escape.
My pup ran out, barking with joy. Luckily, apart from having a bruised ego, he seemed unharmed by his ordeal.
By then, the tomcat had slunk off, so there was no chance of Hugo going after it.
Still, I put his lime-green lead on, just in case he tried something.
‘What an adventure!’ I giggled, stroking him.
Hugo hasn’t chased a cat since his little accident.
I think he’s learned his lesson… It’s not wise to take the puss! Kerriann Godwin, 56, Bournemouth, Dorset
‘MY MUTT WAS BARKING MAD’
Hugo-gate: he’s tiny, but he got stuck fast! Thankfully, only Hugo’s ego was hurt He was freed by a fire crew, thank goodness
Saved! Hugo’s rescuer… and, right, that pesky moggie