Brother’s cur­few lifted so he can help at­tack vic­tim

Rochdale Observer - - FRONT PAGE - Emma.dav­i­son@trin­i­tymir­ @Em­maDav­i­son10

AMAN asked to be let off his cur­few - to stage a fundraiser on be­half of his brother left for dead in a nasty street at­tack.

Carl John­son suf­fered a frac­tured skull and bleed­ing to his brain af­ter be­ing set upon in Rochdale last month.

His brother Mark John­son, of Mars­den, is help­ing or­gan­ise a fundrais­ing event this week­end.

To­day he suc­cess­fully ap­plied to Kirklees mag­is­trates to have his cur­few lifted to cover the open mic evening on Saturday.

He told them: “I’ve or­gan­ised the event from start to fin­ish af­ter the at­tack on my lit­tle brother in Rochdale town cen­tre. It was a com­pletely un­pro­voked and sus­tained at­tack and very well-pub­li­cised in the Huddersfield Examiner and Manch­ester Evening News.”

The mu­sic event is be­ing held at t Auster­lands Cricket Club in Old­ham to help Carl as well as the men­tal health char­ity Mind and the LGBT Foun­da­tion.

Carl, 25, spent five days in hospi­tal fol­low­ing the un­pro­voked at­tack on Au­gust 13 fol­low­ing the Rochdale Feel Good Fes­ti­val.

He was mak­ing his way home when he was set upon by a group who knocked him to the floor be­fore punch­ing and kick­ing him as he lay on the ground.

Carl was found badly in­jured by paramedics and taken to Royal Old­ham Hospi­tal, be­fore be­ing moved to a spe­cial­ist brain in­jury unit at Sal­ford Royal Hospi­tal.

His brother or­gan­ised a fundraiser but asked for his cur­few hours to be al­tered to al­low him to help set up and tidy up af­ter the event.

He was handed the eight week elec­tron­i­cally mon­i­tored cur­few in Au­gust for an of­fence of driv­ing whilst dis­qual­i­fied.

The 27-year-old had been banned from the road pre­vi­ously for drink-driv­ing.

The cur­few runs be­tween the hours of 8pm and 8am and mag­is­trates were asked to re­move this for Fri­day night, with the cur­few to re­sume the fol­low­ing Saturday from 8pm.

John­son, of Sand­hill Cot­tages, ex­plained: “I need to be there from 7pm to get the mu­sic set up and stay around af­ter­wards to clean and take bal­loons down.

“There will be bands on and raf­fling of foot­ball mem­o­ra­bilia do­nated by Paul Sc­holes.”

John­son added that his of­fend­ing hap­pened fol­low­ing his ner­vous break­down ear­lier this year. He told mag­is­trates: “It’s been very trau­matic putting my­self back into the world. I’ve got to a re­ally good place which has al­lowed me to or­gan­ise this event.”

When mag­is­trates agreed to lift his cur­few for the evening, he said: “I’m hop­ing to raise a few thou­sand and a few hun­dred peo­ple are re­ly­ing on me, so thank you.”

●●Carl John­son spent five days in hospi­tal af­ter be­ing at­tacked

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.