Boro brush aside ri­vals Fleet­wood

Rochdale Observer - - TRAVEL - HARRY HAN­SON

LITTLEBOROUGH RUFC picked up a big win on Satur­day af­ter em­phat­i­cally brush­ing aside Fleet­wood RUFC at Rake­wood Road.

Af­ter long pe­ri­ods of rain the sun broke through just be­fore kick-off and the match was played in ex­cel­lent con­di­tions.

Early pres­sure from the Boro for­wards took play im­me­di­ately into the op­po­si­tion half, with Fleet­wood in turn try­ing to run with the ball down into Boro’s half.

Scrum­mag­ing seemed to be go­ing Littleborough’s way and af­ter only seven min­utes winger An­drew Roberts was over the try line for the first score, con­verted by Richard Tay­lor.

Shortly af­ter­wards the vis­i­tors con­verted a penalty to reg­is­ter the first of their points to the board.

On kick-off, Boro’s cap­tain Andy Wal­ton got well in­volved in the game fol­lowed by a good kick to touch near the op­po­si­tion line by Tay­lor, but then un­for­tu­nately Ted Chad­wick had to leave the field due to in­jury to his lower leg.

Once again Boro were in the op­po­si­tion 25 me­tre area but then gave away a penalty which led to a pe­riod of the vis­i­tors’ putting on pres­sure, which even­tu­ally gave them another penalty to make the score 7-6.

Littleborough stepped up their game, and Matthew Goldthorpe put in a strong run which was fin­ished off with an ex­cel­lent run and try by Josh Park, again con­verted by Tay­lor.

Then within min­utes, a fur­ther Boro at­tack brought another con­verted try to widen the points gap. Fol­low­ing this Littleborough pres­sure, they found them­selves de­fend­ing their own try line and it was left to that man again Goldthorpe to take the ball in his old po­si­tion of winger and from five me­tres from his own line, he brought mem­o­ries of the past by round­ing three op­po­si­tion play­ers and run the full length of the pitch to touch down un­der the posts for Boro’s fourth try, with the con­ver­sion to fol­low.

Fur­ther de­lays came due to op­po­si­tion player in­juries, but there was still time for a fur­ther con­verted penalty by Boro to end the first half.

The start of the se­cond half saw Andy West brought on in the cen­tre po­si­tion, and soon con­stant pres­sure by Boro saw Goldthorpe again on the at­tack, fol­lowed by cen­tre Jack Whit­tles scor­ing a fur­ther Boro try, again con­verted.

Sam Dickinson came on to the field of play, and again Goldthorpe pro­vided a strong tackle, fol­lowed by a fur­ther penalty kick by Tay­lor to in­crease Littleborough’s lead.

Nathan Coop at full­back made a good catch of the ball from the op­po­si­tion and put in a great re­turn kick of the ball to touch and with 10 min­utes left, Tay­lor made a great in­di­vid­ual run to score a fur­ther Littleborough try, but there was no con­ver­sion this time.

For­tu­nately there was still time for Coop to kick the ball well down­field and amaz­ingly fol­lowed it up to re­trieve the ball and cross the try line for yet another five points, which was again con­verted.

Once again another win for Boro show­ing great de­ter­mi­na­tion and a good team per­for­mance.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.