Wigton feel the Boro back­lash

Rochdale Observer - - SPORT - HARRY HAN­SON

LIT­TLE­BOR­OUGH RUFC re­turned to win­ning ways after pick­ing up a com­fort­able win at home to Wigton.

Hav­ing trav­elled to Cum­bria last week­end, Boro played host to an­other Cum­brian team and this time re­versed the re­sult with a strong dis­play.

The game be­gan with early penal­ties to the vis­i­tors be­ing missed and as usual Lit­tle­bor­ough were pressed back in their own half.

Two min­utes later Boro’s right winger Liam Lloyd made a good break then passed the ball onto cen­tre Jack Whit­tles, who in turn fed hooker Mathew Goldthorpe for him to score Boro’s first try, con­verted by Richard Tay­lor to take an early lead.

This changed the struc­ture of the game and now Lit­tle­bor­ough played the next pe­riod in the vis­i­tors half. Then Boro came un­der at­tack again which led to their cap­tain Andy Wal­ton mak­ing a strong tackle but shortly after Wigton did con­vert their sec­ond penalty for them to get on the score­board.

Now Boro were re­tal­i­at­ing with strong play by Josh Park, be­fore Kearns made a break up his left wing beat­ing one player then passed the ball on to Tay­lor for him to score Lit­tle­bor­ough’s sec­ond

try which he also con­verted.

Boro were now show­ing strength in de­fence with a strong tackle from for­ward Henry Ash­worth as once again they were put on the back foot by the vis­i­tors, who at this pe­riod con­verted a fur­ther penalty.

Now sec­ond row for­ward for Lit­tle­bor­ough, Ben Irv­ing was not only show­ing his de­fen­sive skills but also win­ning back ball pos­ses­sion for his team.

Just prior to half-time a great ball pass­ing at­tack from Boro got full-back Nigel Coop over for his side’s third try, again con­verted by Tay­lor, who shortly af­ter­wards was again suc­cess­ful with Boro’s first and only penalty, mak­ing it 24-6 at the break.

At the start of the sec­ond half Lit­tle­bor­ough’s first at­tack saw winger David Kearns make his way over the line for his team’s fourth try, again con­verted by Tay­lor.

There were then changes in Boro’s team as prop Mark Mur­ga­troyd had to come off with an in­jury and was re­placed by Stu­art Bairstow.

Boro were then back on the at­tack again and winger Lloyd crossed the line for their fifth try, but this time no con­ver­sion.

This was soon fol­lowed with a great break from Lit­tle­bor­ough’s scrum half Tay­lor, nearly bring­ing an­other try for the hosts.

There was full pres­sure on Wigton by Boro with a bril­liant break for­ward by Goldthorpe and Park, cul­mi­nat­ing in at­tack after at­tack but they were just un­able to cross that try line again.

Full credit to the vis­i­tors though as they didn’t give up and with ten min­utes left they sur­pris­ingly worked their way up field and scored their first try, with no con­ver­sion.

They didn’t stop there, as two min­utes into ex­tra time Wigton got their sec­ond un­con­verted try to re­duce the deficit slightly and make the fi­nal score 36-16.

It was a qual­ity per­for­mance from Boro and their coaches Michael Howard and Do­manic Fra­ter­nali will be de­lighted, with the stand out play­ers in­clud­ing Ben Irv­ing, Josh Park, Henry Ash­worth and Sam Dickinson.

Lit­tle­bor­ough will now look to try and build on their vic­tory when they are next in ac­tion on Satur­day, mak­ing the trip to Bolton in a North Lancs/ Cum­bria divi­sion match.

Barry Hobson

Matt Goldthorpe has the Wigton de­fence on the back foot dur­ing Boro’s win at Rake­wood at the week­end

Barry Hobson

Chris Hough in ac­tion against Wigton

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.