Pos­i­tive start to year for Boro

Rochdale Observer - - TRAVEL - HARRY HAN­SON

LIT­TLE­BOR­OUGH RUFC ended their run of de­feats and started the year with a draw at home to Keswick RUFC.

It was a great per­for­mance from Boro as a num­ber of top in­di­vid­ual per­for­mances made it look like it would be a win for the hosts, but Keswick managed to earn a draw at the death.

Lit­tle­bor­ough took the early ini­ta­tive at the start of the game and made sev­eral at­tack­ing moves, start­ing with their for­wards and then con­tin­u­ing with their three quarters, play­ing some pos­i­tive rugby not seen by them for the past few matches.

It cul­mi­nated in a penalty award af­ter only eight min­utes, but they missed this at­tempt, along with a cou­ple of other kicks through­out the course of the match that would have led to an­other 12 points in to­tal.

It was equal pres­sure by both teams, the best of which came from Boro with Sam Dick­in­son stand­ing out along with Jack Whit­tles and Matthew Goldthorpe.

Now back in his fa­mil­iar po­si­tion of full back, Chris Park car­ried out ex­cel­lent play by catch­ing all the high balls sent up to him by the op­po­si­tion and then at­tack­ing with clever in­di­vid­ual runs.

Un­for­tu­nately Boro had to lose Martin Hayden from the game with in­jury and he was re­placed by Henry Ash­worth, who soon got into the pace of the match.

There was then an­other penalty awarded to Lit­tle­bor­ough, and this time it was con­verted by Chris Hough, who like the rest of the team was putting him­self about with all of his ex­pe­ri­ence.

At­tack­ing in the op­po­si­tion half Park again collected the ball in the air and fol­lowed on with a good break, all pos­i­tive play not seen by Boro for some time. Then to top this ex­cit­ing pos­i­tive play by Lit­tle­bor­ough, winger Lloyd re­ceived a pass and ran in a great try, the first of the day to put Boro eight points in the lead.

Un­for­tu­nately the vis­it­ing team hit back and com­ing to the close of the first half they went over for a con­verted try and a penalty to lead 10-8 at the break.

The turn of the sec­ond half saw Lit­tle­bor­ough’s three quarters giv­ing ex­cel­lent run­ning back play with the ball, and they were well supplied by scrum half Chris Kol­buck, who was hav­ing a strong game urg­ing his for­wards on.

Cen­tre three quar­ter Jack Whit­tles was show­ing his pos­i­tive abil­ity with strong run­ning, cul­mi­nat­ing in wing forward Jacob Cas­tree mak­ing a great break down the mid­dle of the park where Boro for­wards got to­gether and that player again Goldthorpe crossed the line for his side’s sec­ond try to help them take the over­all lead.

It got even bet­ter for Lit­tle­bor­ough against a team that had only lost two games all sea­son, as Goldthorpe, through sup­port from his fel­low for­wards, crossed the line for his sec­ond try and Boro’s third over­all, to put his side eight points ahead with very lit­tle time left.

Keswick re­duced the deficit with a penalty, be­fore break­ing Lit­tle­bor­ough hearts right at the death by cross­ing for an­other try in the dy­ing seconds to earn them­selves a draw.

De­spite the late set­back, it was a fan­tas­tic per­for­mance by Boro, and they’ll try to build on the per­for­mance when they’re back in action on Satur­day as they make the trip to Wig­ton RUFC.

Barry Hob­son

Chris Roberts, Mur­phy Holt and Chris Kol­buck

Barry Hob­son

Andy Wal­ton tack­les dur­ing the clash against Keswick

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.