In brief

Rossendale Free Press - - News -

A FLAT has been left ‘heav­ily smoke logged’ af­ter a chip pan fire.

Fire­fight­ers from Bacup were called to the prop­erty on Rochdale Road at around 2.20am on Fri­day, Septem­ber 1.

Watch man­ager Chris Howarth said the in­ci­dent hap­pened af­ter the oc­cu­pant ‘be­came dis­tracted and for­got that her pan was on’

He said: “In the early hours of this morn­ing, two ap­pli­ances from Bacup at­tended an in­ci­dent on Rochdale Road.

“While the oc­cu­pant was heat­ing up her chip pan prior to putting chips in it, she be­came dis­tracted and for­got that her pan was on.

“For­tu­nately, the smoke alarm went off and raised the alarm be­fore any fire had de­vel­oped.

“The flat was heav­ily smoke logged. Crews ven­ti­lated the flat and re­moved the hot pan from the prop­erty.

“Crews were at the flat for around 30 min­utes and no in­juries were re­ported.

“The Fire Ser­vice would urge peo­ple not to cook chips us­ing hot oil pans. Dis­trac­tion is the main cause of chip pan fires. When cook­ing chips at home, we would rec­om­mend oven or mi­crowave chips.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.