Poison meat ‘left for dogs in park’
DOG owners have been warned after suspected ‘poisonous meat’ was left at a park.
Two Border Collies were treated by vets in Rawtenstall after eating the meat in Victoria Park in Haslingden.
Police confirmed they were ‘ made aware’ of the incident and said neighbourhood policing teams had been informed.
The owner of the two dogs, who asked not to be named, said it was ‘ horrible’ to see her beloved pets be given injections to vomit the meat up.
The Haslingden resident, who asked not to be named, told the Free Press that her dogs ran off towards the meat.
She said: “There was a man there taking photographs.
“He said his dogs had picked some meat up and were very poorly for about three days.
“As soon as I got home I rang the vets and they said the best thing to do was to bring them both in straight away.
“It was horrible. They both had to be induced to vomit. The female dog didn’t bring anything up but the male dog did.
“They both had to be blood tested and thankfully they were both fine.
“The vets did stress that whatever they threw back up didn’t have the chance to get into their system.”
The dog owner said she has been walking in the park for ‘ years and years’ and is now having to keep her dogs, aged three and four, on a lead to prevent any further incidents.
She said: “Has somebody done it to kill foxes or something? I don’t know.
“It’s just weird why somebody would throw big chunks of fresh meat. It just doesn’t make sense.
“Even if it wasn’t contaminated you don’t know how long the meat could’ve been there for.
“I just don’t know what the consequences could’ve been if I didn’t take them to the vets.
“I’m being really vigilant now. I’m paranoid that there could be something else there.
“I’m having to keep my dogs on a lead now but I shouldn’t have to.
“I’ve been walking in that park for years and years.
“If you are going to throw meat out then do it in your back yard and not a park.”
Lancashire Police said the incident was reported on Thursday, September 7, at around 9.20am by staff at Vets4Pets.
A spokesperson said: “They said a client had brought their dog in and was being treated after eating poisonous, raw meat.”
Suspected ‘poisonous meat’ was left in Victoria Park, Haslingden