With de­pleted squad

Rossendale Free Press - - Sport -

the head. More pres­sure re­sulted in a penalty, with the Max Lyth, play­ing at fly half, kick­ing into the cor­ner, but Wi­gan won pos­ses­sion back from the re­sult­ing line-out and moved quickly into the Rossendale mid­field for the first time since the yel­low card.

Missed tack­les led to an over­lap on the right with Wi­gan scor­ing in the cor­ner in what would be one of the last plays of the half, leav­ing the score at half time, 17-0 in their favour.

Dale started the sec­ond half well a kick and chase for the full back Tom Unsworth un­luck­ily ran out of play.

The phys­i­cal na­ture of the game con­tin­ued, with ill-dis­ci­pline from Wi­gan lead­ing to sev­eral penal­ties.

Un­for­tu­nately Dale couldn’t con­vert pres­sure into points and Wi­gan again broke into the Rossendale half and only a last ditch chal­lenge saved a try with the ball be­ing held up.

From the re­sult­ing scrum, how­ever, the Wi­gan num­ber 8 picked the ball up and ran through to score the fourth try, which wasn’t con­verted. Whilst the score was against them, Dale con­tin­ued to bat­tle and their heads did not go down.

More pres­sure led to turnover ball in mid­field which re­sulted in an­other yel­low card for Wi­gan.

Again, Dale went through the phases and this time made it count with Oliver Mol­loy kick­ing through for Ja­cob Tay­lor to touch down a fully de­served try.

With the missed con­ver­sa­tion the score was now 22-5.

The hosts con­tin­ued to con­cede penal­ties in their own half, with more indis­ci­pline in the face of Dale pres­sure, but an­other missed tackle cre­ated an­other over­lap on the left hand side al­low­ing the hosts to score, with the full back tak­ing a dif­fi­cult con­ver­sa­tion to make the score 29-5.

Dale con­tin­ued to bat­tle on and forced an at­tack­ing scrum close to the Wi­gan try line, Mark Rutherford-Shaw pick­ing up the back of the scrum ●● Ac­tion from Rossendale’s match against Wi­gan Se­nior Colts with Dale go­ing through the phases but the ball was held up once again.

Yet more at­tack­ing play saw Oliver Mol­loy try an­other cross field kick which un­luck­ily ran out of play and the match ended with the score 29-5s.

It was a good team per­for­mance from the weak­ened squad, with good show­ings again from Cole Lani­gan at Hooker and Sam Irv­ing who time and time again took the fight to the hosts. Spe­cial men­tion to Char­lie Bishop for an ex­cel­lent per­for­mance at loose head prop, play­ing only his sec­ond game since com­ing back to the team after a two year lay-off through in­jury. Rossendale’s Man of the Match was awarded to Mark Rutherford-Shaw.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.