Bor­ough de­feat no true re­flec­tion of game

Rossendale Free Press - - Sport -


BACUP Bor­ough pro­duced a good per­for­mance away at Al­sager Town at the week­end de­spite suf­fer­ing a 3-0 de­feat.

Though the score­line sug­gested oth­er­wise, the en­counter at Wood Park was a close con­test.

The hosts had tested Boro keeper Price early on. Matthew Bryan beat his marker for pace on the right hand side and played a well weighted pass in front of Josh Walne, but the Al­sager goal­keeper Matt Conkie was quick off his line and rushed out to the feet of Walne to deny what could have been an early Bacup goal.

Just af­ter the half hour mark Al­sager took the lead, af­ter Boro failed to clear, it took the Al­sager for­ward two at­tempts to poke the ball home to open the scor­ing.

Bacup were still creat­ing chances as the half went on, An­thony Hall caus­ing de­fend­ers heaps of trou­ble.

Deep into first half added time, Al­sager con­tro­ver­sially dou­bled their lead. The goal came af­ter what should have been a Bacup free kick in the de­fen­sive third was given in favour of the hosts re­sult­ing in con­fu­sion from both benches, never the less the free kick was played to­wards the back post where Oliver Jep­son met the cross and made it 2-0 with a header.

With plenty to play for in the sec­ond half, Peters’ men were fired up and were straight on the at­tack, An­thony Hall car­ry­ing on where he left off in the first half, caus­ing havoc again, burst through the Al­sager de­fence but saw his right footed ef­fort saved by Conkie.

Go­ing into the last 10 min­utes Al­sager put the game to bed through a cross come shot, Jor­dan Erd­man’s cross float­ing over the head of Price in the Bacup goal.

That de­feat fol­lowed a 2-1 home win against New Mills last Thurs­day on a night where Bacup were able to pay their re­spects as a club to main bene­fac­tor Brian Boys – and it was a fit­ting per­for­mance by Peters’ men.

There were chances for both teams in the open­ing ex­changes but the best move and chance of the first half came from the hosts. Af­ter a great piece of pass­ing play on the left­hand side, An­thony Hall played a left footed ball into the box to Josh Walne whose headed ef­fort was saved by the Millers goal­keeper. ●● An­thony Hall

Bacup could have seen them­selves go 1-0 up af­ter New Mills debu­tant Chris Mid­dle­ton pulled back Hall on the edge of the 18 yard box.

The re­sult­ing free­kick from Matthew Bryan was taken left footed and with the keeper beaten it un­for­tu­nately flashed wide of the right hand post.

On the stroke of half time Bacup took the lead cour­tesy of Matthew Barlow, the goal came from an An­thony Hall cor­ner, it was swung in left footed from the left hand side and fell to the feet of Barlow who slot­ted his right foot strike past keeper Williams.

Just af­ter the hour mark, Bor­ough stop­per Price pro­duced a great re­ac­tion save to deny the vis­i­tors an equaliser and a way back into the game.

Matthew Bryan could have made it 2-0 with 20 min­utes left af­ter a lofted through ball bounced just right for him and he un­leashed a stun­ning vol­ley which clat­tered the in­side of the post, the ball was then cleared by the New Mills de­fence.

Within min­utes of Bryan hit­ting the post, Bor­ough coun­tered three on two, Hall broke clear and slipped the ball through to Bryan who rounded the keeper, came in­side and put his right footed shot be­yond the stretch of the scram­bling Millers de­fender on the line to make it 2-0.

It could have eas­ily been 3-0 when Matty Bryan played a su­perb ball into the box into the feet of strike part­ner Matty Barlow who was de­nied his sec­ond of the game, down to a great double save from the vis­i­tors goal­keeper Dean Williams.

In the clos­ing stages of the fix­ture, New Mills pulled a goal back through cen­tre half Mike Jones’ header from a free kick played in from the left.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.