Boro kids keep run go­ing

Rossendale Free Press - - Sport - FA TRO­PHY FIRST QUAL­I­FY­ING ROUND

MARK CHALINOR BACUP Bor­ough un­der 18s con­tin­ued their un­beaten start to the sea­son with a 2-0 vic­tory at Fenis­cowles.

Bacup had the bet­ter of a score­less first half with the Fenis­cowles de­fence strug­gling with the work rate of debu­tant Louis Hold­ing and di­rect run­ning of Sam Green.

Jack Chaloner and Jimmy Bassam con­trolled the mid­field and any­thing that got past them was dealt with by the solid de­fence of Kieran Reece, Joe Col­lis­ton and Jor­dan Walker.

Bacup de­servedly took the lead when Ryan Lewis on as a sub was quick to in­ter­cept a pass then set Bai­ley Hindle away on the right wing, his pin­point cross from wide on the right was met su­perbly by Jack Chaloner who had timed his run well from mid­field and his header pow­ered past a help­less Fenis­cowles keeper into the top cor­ner.

Hold­ing thought he had scored on his de­but but was flagged off­side and there were fur­ther op­por­tu­ni­ties that went beg­ging as Bacup took con­trol.

The game was set­tled from a cor­ner which was ex­cel­lently de­liv­ered by Oliver Crew, Hold­ing met the ball with a firm header and Rob­bie Ker­shaw flicked the ball home.

Bacup con­tin­ued to dom­i­nate the game, deal­ing well with any at­tacks of­fered. ●● Or­lando-Young’s free kick beats Danny Taberner to open the scor­ing SHAW LANE ..................... 2 RAMS­BOT­TOM UTD ....... 2 JON HASLAM

RA M S B O T TOM United ven­tured over to Barns­ley more in hope than ex­pec­ta­tion as they came up against the no­madic Shaw Lane club that has risen through the pyra­mid at a sharp rate of knots on the back of a sup­pos­edly wealthy backer who has filled his team with ex­pe­ri­enced non-league play­ers.

Pro­mo­tion to Evo-Stik Pre­mier last sea­son meant that the Rams were fac­ing a side near the top of a league above, and met them on the back of a dread­ful away record and a hu­mil­i­at­ing 4-0 home de­feat in their last match.

Hardly a back­ground to fill the Rams faith­ful with too much to look for­ward to, and an early goal for the hosts seemed to con­firm such an out­look.

How­ever, the muchchanged Rams­bot­tom line-up did more than cor­rect their re­cent de­fi­cien­cies, and had it not been for another con­tro­ver­sial ref­er­ee­ing per­for­mance, may well have re­turned home with their first away vic­tory of the sea­son.

The game was played in dif­fi­cult con­di­tions with a swirling wind rac­ing across the pitch.

Vir­tu­ally every high ball fin­ished up some way from it’s in­tended des­ti­na­tion, usu­ally out of play and over the fences.

The first con­tentious de­ci­sion made by the man in black ar­rived af­ter just 15 min­utes. Jerome Wright was ad­judged to have fouled when he protested that the award should have gone the other way.

The ref­eree, as was to be the case through­out the af­ter­noon, be­came the cen­tre of at­trac­tion, and the sub­se­quent free- kick taken by Or­lando-Young, just out­side the box, caught the wind and sailed in­side Danny Taberner’s left hand post.

Whilst the hosts pushed up reg­u­larly with the wind slightly in their favour, the vis­i­tors re­fused to lie down, and af­ter 37 min­utes Tom Brooks was un­lucky to see his low drive clawed away at the last minute by Stewart in the home goal.

How­ever, the frus­tra­tion only lasted for a few sec­onds, for, from the re­sul­tant cor­ner, de­but boy Josh Heaton rose high­est to firmly nod home the equaliser.

In­deed, the Rams could have taken the lead as the half-time whis­tle was about to sound, but Jamie Rother’s drive was just too high.

The vis­i­tors did not have to wait long to push their noses in front.

Barely a minute af­ter the break, Greg Daniels fired home from an acute an­gle, and sud­denly the hope was turn­ing to ex­pec­ta­tion.

The home side should have equalised min­utes later when former Al­trin­cham goal ma­chine Damien Reeves in­ex­pli­ca­bly side-footed wide from six yards out when a goal looked cer­tain, but back came the Rams, with Daniels ag­o­nis­ingly inches wide at the other end.

As the game wore on, the home side pushed for­ward, but the res­o­lute Rams de­fence worked hard to re­pel any dan­ger, with Tom Brooks and ●● Greg Daniels, scorer of Rams’ sec­ond goal, on the ball

‘We came un­der the cosh late on but de­fended for our lives’

Brad Roscoe both clear­ing off the line to pre­serve the lead.

A third goal would have seen the game safe, and Brooks tried his luck from dis­tance only to see Stewart smother his ef­fort.

With the clock tick­ing down, three min­utes into time added on saw another ex­am­ple of poor ref­er­ee­ing, as Mr Jones de­cided that a scram­ble in the box had seen a vis­it­ing

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.