Fight­back in vain as Saints slip up again

Rossendale Free Press - - Motors -

WEST LANCS LEAGUE PREMIER DI­VI­SION VICKERSTOWN ........... 4 HAS ST MARY’S .......... 2 STEVE BAYES AN­OTHER match slipped away from Hasling­den St Mary’s as they came back from two goals down only to con­cede two sec­ond half penal­ties in a 4-2 de­feat.

Play­ing their first match for a month St Mary’s made the long trip to Cum­bria for a match against bot­tom side Vickerstown.

St Mary’s started well with a shot at goal in the first minute, but fur­ther chances were rare.

They played well go­ing for­ward but were met by a big stub­born Vickerstown de­fence that kept them at bay.

After the good start St Mary’s fell be­hind on 14 mins when Vickerstown broke away from a St Mary’s corner with the ball fall­ing kindly for the for­ward who tucked the ball into the corner to open the scor­ing.

Worse was to come from St Mary’s 8 min­utes later when a bad chal­lenge went un­pun­ished and Vickerstown dou­bled their lead.

St Mary’s con­tin­ued to push for­ward but couldn’t get back into the game and a frus­trat­ing first half ended with St Mary’s 2 goals be­hind.

The sec­ond half started well for St Mary’s with the wind at their backs they pushed Vickerstown back and they were re­warded on 49 min­utes when cap­tain Mickey Saun­ders burst into the area and was brought down, Scott Wylie sent the keeper the wrong way from the spot to re­duce the ar­rears.

And five min­utes later they were level as Wylie played a great ball across the area the ball was only par­tially cleared and Tom Hulme fol­low­ing up fired the ball home to level the scores.

St Mary’s were now in the as­cen­dancy and poured for­ward, on 60 min­utes Saun­ders got clear and lobbed the ●● Mickey Saun­ders ball over the ad­vanc­ing keeper but it just cleared the bar onto the roof of the net.

A minute later a vi­cious Wylie ef­fort was scram­bled away to safety, and at this stage St Mary’s were so strong go­ing for­ward it seemed they would surely get a third and go on to win the game, but then the sucker punch came when a Vickerstown ball into St Mary’s area was missed and a clumsy chal­lenge brought a penalty on 65 min­utes to the home side which they con­verted.

Still St Mary’s pushed for­ward but an­other clumsy chal­lenge on 83 min­utes brought Vickerstown their sec­ond penalty of the half and they put the game out of sight from St Mary’s.

St Mary’s slipped to the bot­tom of the ta­ble as they swap places with their hosts, more con­cen­tra­tion in keep­ing the op­po­si­tion out will surely see them rise up the ta­ble.

The only bright spot on the day was a wel­come 20 minute re­turn to first team foot­ball for cen­tral de­fender Dave Snape re­turn­ing from a bro­ken leg suf­fered in March.

St Mary’s will hope­fully re­turn to South Shore Street on Satur­day with a home fix­ture against league lead­ers Black­pool Wren Rovers with a 2pm kick off.

Whilst the re­serves travel to Mil­nthorpe re­serves also with a 2pm kick off.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.