Colts class takes them to sum­mit

Rossendale Free Press - - Motors -

NORTH­WICH................14 ROSSENDALE SC.........36 PAUL KIL­SHAW ROSSENDALE Se­nior Colts trav­elled to North­wich for the fi­nal game of the league cam­paign, know­ing that only a win would be good enough to take the top spot in Divi­sion E of the Hal­bro North West Se­nior Colts League.

De­spite the re­cent spell of poor weather, pleas­ant con­di­tions and a pitch in rea­son­able con­di­tion greeted the teams.

Rossendale scored first af­ter a pe­riod of pres­sure in North­wich’s twen­tytwo, with the fi­nal phase com­ing af­ter Mark Ruther­ford-Shaw took the ball into con­tact in the mid­dle, and pre­sented clean ball for Alex Kil­shaw to quickly ship out to Idrees Nazir who made a few me­tres and drew the de­fence be­fore pass­ing out along the line.

Ciaran Camp­bell re­ceived the pass and ran hard into the de­fen­sive line, be­fore pass­ing out to Oliver Mol­loy to jink past the last man and run over to score.

Rossendale fielded the restart, but a mis-com­mu­ni­ca­tion saw the ball knocked on, which en­abled North­wich to pounce and quickly get them­selves ahead on the score­board with a con­verted try.

The next score came from a penalty where Dale opted for the scrum. Mark Ruther­ford-Shaw picked up from the base, mak­ing good in­roads into the home side’s ter­ri­tory and again pre­sented clean ball which was shipped out to Max Lyth and fi­nally to Ciaran Camp­bell who made man­aged to slice through the North­wich de­fence, with Max Lyth adding the ex­tras.

The next ten min­utes were spent with Rossendale camped in the North­wich twen­tytwo, but North­wich de­fended valiantly and Dale were un­able to break through.

The break­through came af­ter a clear­ance kick to touch on the ten me­tre line gave Rossendale a li­ne­out which they se­cured and set up a drive which saw them march all the way over the try line, al­low­ing Idrees Nazir to drop over and score, with Jor­dan For­tune adding the ex­tras.

Dale’s tails were up now, and they worked sen­si­ble through the phases with the for­wards work­ing hard to cre­ate quick ball, suck­ing in the de­fence be­fore let­ting the backs loose with the ball and it was fol­low­ing this style of play that saw the ball passed out from a ruck to Max Lyth, then Oliver Mol­loy to Tom Unsworth hit­ting the line at pace.

As the tack­ler came in, the ball was popped out to Ja­cob Tay­lor who still needed to beat three de­fend­ers be­fore scor­ing un­der the posts, with Oliver Mol­loy scor­ing the con­ver­sion.

North­wich tight­ened up their game, play­ing to their strengths and were soon re­warded with a try af­ter a se­ries of pick and drives.

They con­tin­ued to dis­rupt Rossendale, who strug­gled to re­gain any mo­men­tum.

It took about fif­teen min­utes for Dale to re­gain the com­po­sure and shape, build­ing phases and gain­ing ter­ri­tory and even­tu­ally scored af­ter about fif­teen phases of play, pulling the de­fence from right to left and back again, un­til the ball was passed to Max Lyth, who fed Ciaran Camp­bell again run­ning a hard line, be­fore pop­ping to Jor­dan For­tune and fi­nally to Oliver Mol­loy to jink round to score, with Oliver Mol­loy also adding the con­ver­sion.

Dale then worked their way down into the North­wich five me­tre area and Hadley Newell picked up and drove through the ruck and dropped down with the ball, and with the con­ver­sion missed, the game ended.

Rossendale’s joint Man of the Match award went to Isaac Corn­wall and Mark Ruther­ford-Shaw.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.