No points banked at Winsford

Runcorn & Widnes Weekly News - - Theguide -

Winsford United 2

Widnes FC 1 A LATE sec­ond half rally was not enough for Widnes FC who suf­fered their sec­ond league de­feat of the sea­son los­ing 2-1 at Winsford United on Bank Hol­i­day Mon­day af­ter­noon.

At a sun-baked St Luke’s Bar­ton Sta­dium, Winsford took the lead in­side the open­ing 10 min­utes as Bran­don Moores re­ceived the ball and quickly dis­patched of Michael White with a clever nut­meg, hold­ing off the chal­lenge of Kev Pollard be­fore fir­ing a shot into the back of the net.

Widnes keeper Ryan Tay­lor was twice called into ac­tion as the half drew to a close. Ge­orge Ri­ley latched on to a way­ward White header be­fore forc­ing a de­cent save out of Tay­lor who had to re­act quickly to push Callum Gard­ner’s free-kick away from goal as it trav­elled through a crowd of bod­ies in­side the penalty area.

Widnes twice went close to lev­el­ling at the start of the sec­ond half through Ge­orge Lo­max and Kev Towey.

But the chances were not taken and Winsford soon added a sec­ond goal. Gard­ner drilled a free-kick against the wall but the Widnes rear­guard were slow to re­act as Ri­ley ar­rowed a shot to­wards goal that nes­tled in the net.

Winsford be­gan to show signs of fa­tigue as the game edged to­wards its cli­max as Widnes grew into the con­test, pulling a goal back 20 min­utes from time.

Sean Myler drove for­ward be­fore find­ing Luke Ed­wards in acres of space. Ed­wards twisted and turned to en­gi­neer space for a cross that was turned home by the out­stretched boot of Lo­max from close-range.

In­side stop­page-time, Widnes spurned two glo­ri­ous op­por­tu­ni­ties to get some­thing out of the game. Pollard gam­bled to pounce on a de­flected Towey pass, only to strike a half-vol­ley straight at the body of Lan­g­ley.

Towey then fired a shot that Lan­g­ley dealt with com­fort­ably to end any chance of a point be­ing res­cued.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.