1. How well you land the hop.
• You should land ball of the foot first and roll through the foot.
• There should be a small amount of internal roll of the foot, but it should be controlled and not a rapid collapse.
• The knee should stay over the middle of the foot.
2. The noise should be a gentle thud, not a loud bang.
• The sound should reflect the controlled deceleration of the impact.
• A loud bang suggests there is little impact control from the foot and calf muscles, and the forces will be transferred excessively to the foot structures, such as ligaments and bones.