No Christ­mas present of three points for the Glens

Rutherglen Reformer - - Clyde -

Neil­ston ................ 4 Glen­cairn .............. 1 Eight-man Glen­cairn suf­fered a Night­mare Be­fore Christ­mas in go­ing down to Neil­ston.

The Ruther­glen men were in the fes­tive mood as they gift-wrapped the open­ing two goals, while Neil­ston also re­ceived a gift from the as­sis­tant ref­eree for their third.

Glen­cairn were miss­ing cen­tral de­fend­ers Mark Bishop and Marc Rus­sell and mid­field dy­namo Sean McGuire, so it was a re-shaped start­ing XI with tri­al­ist de­fender Graeme Brown be­side David Dun­nachie in the mid­dle, with striker Jamie Gil­martin em­ployed in cen­tral mid­field be­side the ever-present Del Es­plin.

Glens found them­selves down to 10 men with just 10 min­utes on the clock. Dun­nachie pulled down Smith as he was set to pull the trig­ger and the ref pointed to the spot and sent the Glens man off. Cameron fin­ished well from 12 yards.

De­spite the man dis­ad­van­tage, Glens cre­ated plenty of chances. Gil­martin hit the cross­bar with a free-kick be­fore James Digney made a fine save when one on one with McNeil. The Glens’striker’s sec­ond ef­fort was blocked on the line and hit the post be­fore drib­bling out

McNeil struck the wood­work again when his head-flick rat­tled the base of the post be­fore Glens suf­fered a dou­ble suck­er­punch. First JC Hutchi­son mis-judged a ball into the box and Rob­bie Cameron was able to nod home from eight yards.

Then, Smith re­ceived the ball de­spite be­ing well off­side when it was played. The lines­man ig­nored the protests and Smith cen­tred for Cameron who com­pleted his hat-trick.

Glens found a glim­mer of hope four min­utes into the sec­ond-half when McNeil was fouled in the box. Sub­sti­tute Bal­lan­tyne made it 3-1.

McNeil fired inches wide as Glens pushed, and Digney had to save well from Gil­martin’s free kick. Hutchi­son also saved well at the other end from Cameron.

De­spite Neil­ston hav­ing seven play­ers booked, it was a Glens player who saw red for a sec­ond yel­low with 11 min­utes left. Gil­martin’s foul on the half­way line was ad­judged to have been card wor­thy and he was sent pack­ing.

He was fol­lowed by Hutchi­son who pulled down Bar­bour has he seemed cer­tain to score. The ref ig­nored the ad­vice of his as­sis­tant who said the foul had hap­pened out­side the box, but makeshift ‘keeper Bal­lan­tyne saved Bar­bour’s kick.

He was help­less in the 98th minute how­ever when Kennedy drilled home from eight yards.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.