A share of the spoils

Rutherglen Reformer - - Reader Travel - Peter Fer­gu­son

The Glens con­firmed their sta­tus as a Su­per League club for the sev­enth con­sec­u­tive sea­son as they came from be­hind to draw 2-2 with pro­mo­tion­chas­ing Shet­tle­ston at New Southcroft Park on Mon­day evening.

Shet­tle­ston were on the front foot right from the kick off and Glen­cairn had to be switched on to keep the score­line blank as the vis­i­tors pressed hard for an early goal. Reece McGil­lion sent a free header over the bar in the sec­ond minute, and then Hutchi­son made an ex­cel­lent re­ac­tion save to keep out Cal­lum McRob­bie’s shot which bounced awk­wardly right in front of him.

Glen­cairn calmed the storm, how­ever, and opened the scor­ing in the 17th minute. Jonny Boal fed the ball through to Ross McNeil, who took an ex­cel­lent first touch be­fore hold­ing off his marker and fir­ing into the cor­ner of the net.

Shet­tle­ston were level in the 34th minute when they awarded a penalty kick. Graeme Brown dived into a chal­lenge on Robert Camp­bell on the edge of the penalty area, and the ref­eree cor­rectly pointed to the spot. Scott An­son stepped up to drive the ball into the cen­tre of the net to make it 1-1.

Glen­cairn were on the front foot at the start of the sec­ond half, and al­most re­gained the lead when Boal an­tic­i­pated a back header and lobbed Hal­li­well, but McGil­lion got back to head over his own cross­bar.

Shet­tle­ston took a 2-1 lead in the 51st minute when a through ball re­leased Cal­lum McRob­bie, and the for­mer Glen­cairn un­der-21 striker pro­duced a clin­i­cal fin­ish to put the vis­i­tors ahead.

The Glens hadn’t given up, though, and they pressed for an equaliser, McNeil glanced a header inches wide be­fore McGuire swiv­elled away from his marker and fired a shot across goal and inches wide of the far post.

The pres­sure paid off for Glen­cairn in the 69th minute as Kil­martin worked his way to the bye line and cut the ball back for Ross McNeil to squeeze the ball over the line from close range to make it 2-2.

Jor­dan Dalzell had a shot cleared off the line by Dick­son af­ter more per­sis­tence in the penalty area by McNeil as Glen­cairn pushed for a win­ner.

Dick­son tried a back header for Shet­tle­ston in the 81st minute which flew over the bar, but it was a re­minder to Glen­cairn that Shet­tle­ston were still very ca­pa­ble of grab­bing a win­ner as well. Hutchi­son saved a snap shot by Boyle af­ter a clever re­verse pass by McRob­bie.

Glen­cairn keeper JC Hutchi­son made a su­perb parry save in the 86th minute to deny what seemed a cer­tain goal for Camp­bell.

The fi­nal big chance of the game fell to McNeil right on the 90th minute.

Irvine’s cross saw McNeil spring the off­side trap and take a bril­liant first touch, but the ball seemed to bounce awk­wardly and the striker missed his kick as he tried to slip the ball past Hal­li­well, and the keeper grate­fully grabbed the ball to deny Glen­cairn’s top goal scorer a hat-trick.

GLEN­CAIRN: Hutchi­son, Brown (Don­aghy), Bal­lan­tyne, Neil, Dun­nachie, Welsh, Dalzell, McGuire, McNeil, Kil­martin, Boal (Irvine)

On the ball Ross Bal­lan­tyne in ac­tion against Shet­tle­ston

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.