R:evlove Clothing - Up-cycled T-shirt Scarves
R:evolve clothing is a brand new project, funded by the Climate Challenge Fund, which recycles and up-cycles old clothing.
We are getting ready to launch a swap shop on Farmloan Road in Rutherglen on Friday, June 12, so please pop in with all your unwanted items and swap them for something nearly new!
Every month we will be giving you a step by step guide to creating something fantastic with your old clothes.
This week we will show you how to create a stylish scarf from an old t-shirt! All you need is some sharp scissors, a rule and pen, and an old t-shirt. (20 Minute Project)
1. Cut your t-shirt from armpit to armpit lengthwise and dispose of the top part of your t-shirt (the part with the sleeves).
Take your tube (the body part of the t-shirt) and cut the bottom hem off so you’re left with a tube that has two un-hemmed edges.
2. Cut 3/4inch to 1inch wide strips from one looped end to the other, leaving around 1inch uncut at the top and bottom.
3. Once you have all your strips cut pull on each length to stretch them out and get them to curl.
4. Gather all of your strips together at the un-cut section so you have them all together in a loop – it should look like a looped scarf at this point.
5. Tie up your uncut section using whatever you want: a piece of leather, ribbon, another piece of t-shirt, etc.
6. If you’re feeling inspired you could add some snazz to your scarf by hot-gluing on some jewellery, beads, chain, buttons, etc where you have tied it up or cut three strips and braid them together and then tie them back into the scarf so you have one braided length).
Please share your creations on Twitter @revolverecycle or facebook with the hashtag #revolveupcycle or find out more about the R: evolve Recycle project on 0141 641 5169.