Man rescued from flat fire
A man was taken to hospital after firefighters responding to a 999 call removed him from a flat in Rutherglen in the early hours of Tuesday morning
Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) crews were sent to Mill Street around 12.30am following a report of smoke alarms activating at properties within the fourstorey tenement block.
Two appliances from Polmadie reached the scene within five minutes and they were quickly joined by a third from Castlemilk.
Watch Manager John O’Brien, the incident commander, said: “The fire was in a second floor flat and we immediately committed teams to tackle it and conduct a search for anyone inside.
“They removed a man from the property and brought the fire under control using an attack branch and a hosereel jet.
He added: “The casualty was placed in the hands of ambulance personnel and with everyone accounted for our crews remained to conduct dampening down operations and ventilate the building.”
The man received treatment from paramedics for slight smoke inhalation and superficial burns before being taken to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary by ambulance.
Emergency responders are clear early warning” of fire is crucial and the presence of working smoke alarms often buys the time needed for firefighters to reach those in danger.
SFRS has urged the public to ensure they and the people close to them have this vital protection, but officers also want responsible citizens to help crews reach those at greatest risk of experiencing a fire in the home.
Free home fire safety visits are available from SFRS by calling the freephone number 0800 073 1999, by texting ‘FIRE’ to 80800 or by filling in an online form at www.firescotland.gov.uk.
Damage The fire damaged this block of flats in Mill Street