Dog walker discovers rat poison scattered in park
Poison has been placed in Rutherglen’s Overtoun Park in what seems to be a deliberate attempt to harm dogs.
Last week Stuart Williams was walking his two dogs Dylan and Nanook in the park on the dog walking trail close to the BMX track.
Nanook was sniffing at something and Stuart saw what looked like a blue block. However after picking it up, he discovered two more.
Stuart (57) works as a cleaner for Burns Environmental, this has included cleaning up after pest controllers and he was able to identify the blocks as rat poison.
Stuart, who lives on Caledonian Avenue, said: “There was three of them so there’s no way it could have been accidentally dropped, it looks like someone has put them there deliberately.
“It’s actually against regulations to put the blocks out in the open, they have to be in a box that only a rat can access.
“If a small dog ate it it could kill them, a bigger dog, it would make them very ill.”
Member of community group Friends of Overtoun Park Lynn Semple said she found the news “disturbing”.
She said: “If people are putting poison down in the park then it is very serious, not just for dogs but what if a young child picked it up as well?”
Stephen Kelly, Head of Facilities, Waste and Ground Services said: “Council staff have not been baiting rodents in Overton Park but we have received reports of this. We are currently attempting to ascertain the exact location of the bait and it will then be removed immediately.”
Constable Richard Samson of Rutherglen Police Office said: “We will be providing extra attention in the park and surrounding area.If anyone has any further information on this, please call 101 and report”.”
If people are putting poison down in the park then it is very serious, not just for dogs but what if a young child picked it up as well Lynn Semple
Disturbing find Stuart with his dogs Dylan and Nanook and where he found the posion