Or­dered out at mid­night

Rutherglen Reformer - - Front Page - Will Hen­shaw

A group of Ruther­glen res­i­dents spoke of their hor­ror af­ter be­ing or­dered out of their homes in the mid­dle of the night by po­lice in riot gear.

At around mid­night last Thurs­day ( July 23) oc­cu­pants at the block of flats on To­ry­glen Road were awo­ken by po­lice ham­mer­ing on their doors, telling them to va­cate the premises.

The fire ser­vice were also called to the scene as a fire had erupted in one of the flats on the third floor.

The group of peo­ple were left stand­ing out­side their block for hours while the po­lice and fire ser­vice dealt with the in­ci­dent. They were then sent to Burn­hill Sports Cen­tre be­fore be­ing al­lowed to re­turn to their homes.

Po­lice con­firmed a man was ar­rested and charged fol­low­ing the in­ci­dent.

Re­becca McLean (63) said: “The po­lice told us we had to get out. My gran­daugh­ter lives just down the road so I was lucky enough to go to hers, oth­er­wise I would have been stand­ing out in the cold.”

Stephen Gor­don (46) said: “It was round about mid­night we got a chap on the door and told we

needed get out the block.

“We were stand­ing out­side for ages and they told us to go to the Burn­hill Sports Cen­tre.

“We didn’t know what was go­ing to hap­pen, there were po­lice ev­ery­where.”

Another neigh­bour, who did not wish to be named, said:“I had po­lice with raised pan­icked voices say­ing‘out now, get out of the build­ing’. I smelled a re­ally strong smell of gas. We were told to stand in the grassy em­bank­ment be­side the build­ing. There were fire en­gines, po­lice, peo­ple from all sorts of ser­vices. I was in ab­so­lute panic fear­ing for my home catch­ing fire with all my be­long­ings and very lit­tle com­mu­ni­ca­tion.”

A po­lice spokesper­son said:“A 41-year-old man has been ar­rested in con­nec­tion with an al­leged breach of the peace and cul­pa­ble and reck­less con­duct fol­low­ing a dis­tur­bance and a fire within a flat in To­ry­glen Road, Ruther­glen, around 11.50pm hours on Thurs­day, July 23.

“The man was alone within the flat and no other peo­ple, in­clud­ing of­fi­cers, were in­jured dur­ing the in­ci­dent. A re­port will be sub­mit­ted to the Procu­ra­tor Fis­cal.”

A spokesper­son for the Scot­tish Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice said:“We re­ceived a call from po­lice at 25 min­utes past mid­night, re­quest­ing our at­ten­dance at an in­ci­dent in To­ry­glen Road.

“Three fire en­gines at­tended, two from Pol­madie and one from Castlemilk, and fire­fight­ers reached the scene within four min­utes.

“Four fire­fight­ers in breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus en­tered the build­ing and were able to ex­tin­guish the fire.”

Ann Gee, ex­ec­u­tive di­rec­tor of hous­ing and tech­ni­cal re­sources, said: “The coun­cil and emer­gency ser­vices re­sponded to a se­ri­ous in­ci­dent in the early hours of Fri­day morn­ing that re­sulted in the tem­po­rary evac­u­a­tion of a num­ber of house­holds in To­ry­glen Road. The coun­cil made wel­fare fa­cil­i­ties avail­able to all af­fected res­i­dents at the nearby Burn­hill Sports Cen­tre, and all res­i­dents were safely re­turned to their homes later that morn­ing.”

In­ci­dent The block of flats in Ruther­glen, lo­cated on To­ry­glen Road

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.