Marchers bid for Rutherglen return
Troubled parade coul be just weeks away
The organisers of a Republican march that had to be abandoned last year have applied to return to Rutherglen.
A group calling themselves the Independent Republican Bands Scotland have applied to Glasgow City Council for permission to march from Linn Park Industrial Estate to Quay Road North in the Burgh.
No application has been received yet by South Lanarkshire Council.
The event is set to take place on Saturday, August 15.
Organisers have applied for a route that will take them on Lainshaw Drive, Carmunnock Road, Ardencraig Road, Castlemilk Drive, Croftfoot Road, Mill Street, Rodger Drive, Stonelaw Road, Rutherglen Main Street, Queen Street and Potters Way.
They say the march will involve around 70 people.
Last September an “antiinternment parade” was halted on Castlemilk Drive in the interests of public safety. Police made 12 arrests on the day.
Hundreds of protestors lined the streets of Rutherglen to try to stop the event taking place.
Glasgow City Council this week confirmed they had received objections to the application.
A spokesperson said: “We have received legal notification from the organisers of this proposed procession.
“This is currently under active consideration.
“We are setting up a meeting with the organisers and will also be in discussion with partners including Police Scotland.
“I can confirm that we have received objections to the parade and a decision will be taken in due course.”
The Reformer attempted to contact Independent Republican Bands Scotland, but did not receive a reply by the time we went to press.
However, a similar march in Airdrie over the weekend passed without incident.
Opponents of the march say the organisation does not support the Northern Irish peace process and should be stopped.
One contacted the Reformer this week, saying: “This has nothing to do with Friends of Ireland or Sinn Fein, who are committed to the peace process.
“It’s nothing more than a march supporting the Real IRA.”
A spokesperson for South Lanarkshire Council said they had not received any notification of the procession.