Glens manager reckons the title race is wide open
Willie Harvey insists this season’s Super League First Division line- up is the strongest it has ever been.
The Rutherglen Glencairn boss believes any one of the 14 teams is capable of going all the way.
The New Southcroft Park club begin their league campaign later this month at Blantyre Vics.
And Harvey reckons every team will find this term a challenge.
“If we can play the way I know we can, then I hope we will be there or thereabouts,” he said.
“I think anybody could win the division this season. I’ve looked through it and don’t see any team who I think will be out of it.
“This is the hardest our division has ever been in given the teams who have come up, those who have gone down and the knowledge of the teams from last season.
“I think the teams who went out of the league were the weaker teams — and I don’t mean any disrespect.
“The ones that are left were strong enough last season and have added to their squads. Seven teams can leave our division every year.”
Harvey has made nine new signings this summer.
Keeper Robert Kerr, defenders Paul Doyle and Adam Shaw, midfielders Mark Batchelor, Adam Nisanci and Tony Fraser and strikers Paddy Cullen, Mark Tait and Chris Zok have all put pen to paper.
They join a club on the rise which is determined to go up.
“Promotion,” replied Harvey when asked what the objective for the campaign will be.
“I think we have a squad that can achieve it. We’ve had a big changeover and it’s the first one we’ve had in a long time We have nine new players.
“We’ve used the pre-season games and will use the League Cup games to gel and get everything ready for the start of the league.”
Glens’ first game of the season at East Kilbride Thistle was postponed.
The Showpark surface wasn’t ready having been repaired during the close season — but Harvey had sympathy for the Jags committee.
He said: “I couldn’t believe it. We were looking forward to the start of the season but got the call on Friday to say the game was off.
“It was soul-destroying but there was nothing East Kilbride could do about it. I’m sure they did everything they could to get the game on.
“The disappointing thing is that we will have three games next week on the Monday, Wednesday and the Saturday, so it’s going to be a big ask.
“We got told that the park was damaged and wasn’t ready. If we had been told earlier in the week, we could have arranged a friendly.”
“But I’m not going to say anything derogatory about the fact that it took so long to get called off. Committees are hard-working guys with daytime jobs. It’s just one of these things.”
Promotion Willie Harvey wants Glens to go up