El­derly warned to be wary of fire

Rutherglen Reformer - - News - Will Hen­shaw

The sta­tion com­man­der at Ruther­glen and Cam­bus­lang’s main fire sta­tion has urged el­derly peo­ple to make sure their homes are safe af­ter the tragic death of a 92-yearold man in a blaze this month.

Tommy Sime, de­scribed by neigh­bours as a “lovely man”, died af­ter a house fire in his home on Tober­mory Road in Cathkin on Wed­nes­day, Au­gust 12.

And now sta­tion com­man­der at Cly­desmill Com­mu­nity Fire Sta­tion Robert Deans is urg­ing peo­ple to take ad­van­tage of the Scot­tish Fire Ser­vice’s Home Safety visit.

He said: “The sur­veys and re­search we have done tell us that el­derly peo­ple are more at risk of a fire start­ing in their house.

“Re­search also tells us the most likely room for a fire to start is the kitchen.

“This could be when they are cook­ing, or late at night when peo­ple have maybe put some­thing on and for­get about it, which can hap­pen to any­one.”

Free home fire safety vis­its take around 20 min­utes to com­plete and are al­ways done by lo­cal crews at a time con­ve­nient for the house­holder.

Robert added: “What this will en­tail is the per­son call­ing up and leav­ing their con­tact de­tails.

“Their lo­cal fire sta­tion will call them back, ask them some pre­lim­i­nary ques­tions and ar­range a time to come and visit their prop­erty.

“When we come out, we’ll sit down with the per­son, ask them some ques­tions about the house and go round the premises and iden­tify any po­ten­tial cir­cum­stances that could be fire haz­ards.

“We can of­fer tai­lor made di­rec­tions to your premises and an es­cape plan.

“We can also fit smoke de­tec­tors and make sure any ex­ist­ing smoke de­tec­tors are work­ing. This is a free ser­vice and is easy to ar­range.

“The per­son can con­tact us di­rectly or, al­ter­na­tively, some­one else can con­tact us on be­half of that per­son as long as they have a ref­er­ence.

“For in­stance some­one could call and ar­range for an ap­point­ment on be­half of their mother or grand mother.”

Neigh­bours of Tommy were left stunned at his death last week.

Fire­fight­ers in breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus en­tered the prop­erty to try and save him.

They pro­vided emer­gency treat­ment un­til paramedics ar­rived to de­liver spe­cial­ist care and he was taken by am­bu­lance to Hairmyres Hos­pi­tal, how­ever it was sadly con­firmed that he did not sur­vive.

His wife Florence, who was also in the prop­erty, was saved by a neigh­bour and re­ceived a pre­cau­tion­ary check-up from am­bu­lance crews.

Stephen Macken­zie, who tried to save Tommy, said: “Tommy was a re­ally nice man, he al­ways came down and spoke to me when I was at my mum’s.”

Another neigh­bour, Betty Green­horn, added: “When my eldest daugh­ter passed away he was al­ways around ask­ing if I needed any­thing, he was a very kind hearted man and a ter­rific neigh­bour.”

Free home fire safety vis­its are avail­able from SFRS by call­ing the freep­hone num­ber 0800 073 1999, by tex­ting ‘FIRE’ to 80800 or by an online form at www.firescot­land.gov.uk.

El­derly peo­ple are more at risk of a fire start­ing in their house

Warn­ing Robert Deans

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.