Dog walkers on poison alert
An animal rescue agency has issued a plea to pet owners after a social media alert about a dog being exposed to rat poisoning.
A devastated owner returned home from work on Monday September 7 in Springhall to find her beloved one-year-old Jack Russell dog dead.
She took him straight to a vet, who said the likelihood was he had eaten lethal rat poisoning while on his routine walk.
The heartbroken owner says police indicated there had been similar cases in the Cathkin Braes and Overtoun Park areas.
And she urged other dog lovers to buy a muzzle for their pets to stop them picking up something deadly.
Scottish SPCA Chief Superintendent Mike Flynn told The Reformer: “All legal poisons are supplied with strict guidelines for use and anyone who sets poison without following the guidelines is committing an offence.
“Rat poisons should be placed so that no nontarget species can access poison.
“Any pet owner who sees any abnormal behaviour in their pet should seek immediate veterinary assistance.”
Inspector Jim Gillespie of Police Scotland added: “Our advice to dog owners or any member of the public is to contact us if they see anything suspicious in open areas.”