Ti­tle talk not on agenda for Gus

Boss re­fuses to get car­ried away by Spi­ders’start

Rutherglen Reformer - - Reader Travel - Strat­ton Wil­liams

Queen’s Park gaffer Gus MacPher­son is keep­ing his feet firmly on the ground — de­spite his team’s fly­ing start to the sea­son.

“I’ve been in the game too long to get car­ried away and it’s early days yet — there’s a long way to go,” he said.

“I’m pleased with how we are do­ing but we’ve only played seven games — we’ll have a bet­ter idea when we’ve played 18 games.

He was speak­ing af­ter the Spi­ders racked up another fine vic­tory, this time on the road at Stir­ling Al­bion.

“It’s al­ways pleas­ing when we pick up points on our trav­els,” added MacPher­son.

“We knew this would be a tough match be­cause ev­ery­one has been tip­ping Stir­ling to be up there at the end of the sea­son.”

The Queen’s Park man­ager ad­mits that, as well as com­ing away with the points, he was par­tic­u­larly pleased at the man­ner in which his team won.

“Stir­ling put us un­der a lot of pres­sure — es­pe­cially in the last 30 min­utes and I thought we de­fended very well dur­ing that tough pe­riod.” he said.

Queen’s Park are at home to Mon­trose this Satur­day and the man­ager is ex­pect­ing another tough fix­ture.

“I say this ev­ery week but it’s true. This is a re­ally chal­leng­ing di­vi­sion and there are no easy matches,” said Gus.

“We just need to re­tain our fo­cus and hope we can build on our re­cent great run of form at home.

The team still have a few in­jury wor­ries but Chris Dug­gan will be avail­able again af­ter serv­ing his sus­pen­sion last week.

“It would be good if we had ev­ery­one back fit and we had a full squad to work with but we just need to deal with the sit­u­a­tion as it is,” added MacPher­son.

Kneesy does it Ral­ston puts a block in be­fore go­ing on to score the win­ner Queen’s Park boss Gus McPher­son was still miss­ing key men but was boosted by the re­turn of Celtic loa­nee Tony Ral­ston for the trip to Stir­ling.

And with 20 min­utes gone the visi­tors took the lead.

Craig McLeish drilled a free-kick low across goal and John Carter at the back post side­footed the ball home.

The lead, how­ever, was short-lived.

Within 90 sec­onds, Steven Doris buried the ball past Wil­lie Muir to tie the scores at 1-1 de­spite off­side claims.

The re­main­der of the first half failed to live up to that quick goals burst and the teams left

of­fence, which was well dealt with by the Clyde rear­guard, then a shot from dis­tance was pushed on to the bar by John Gib­son.

How­ever, Clyde started to come into the match and Higgins got the open­ing goal when a cross wasn’t fully cleared and the for­ward did well to plant a volley into the cor­ner of the net.

David Marsh then missed the tar­get from in­side the box and Archie Camp­bell saw his low shot well saved by Kevin Walker.

With 68 min­utes on the clock, The Wee Gers got a de­served equaliser as Hen­der­son con­verted a low cross from close range.

Ber­wick’s Graeme Bev­eridge suf­fered a nasty head knock and was stretchered off near the end.

But nei­ther team looked likely to get a win­ning goal in a dis­ap­point­ing fi­nal stage.

Grounded Gus McPher­son

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.