Crossing patrols to face axe
South Lanarkshire Council have unveiled plans to remove seven crossing patrollers from Rutherglen and Cambuslang during school lunch hours.
Under the money- saving change, which will come into affect on October 19, there will no longer be a crossing patroller at Fernhill Road/Galloway Drive, Calderwod Road Beechwood Avenue, Calderwood Road/ Dryburgh Avenue, Hamilton Road/McCallum Avenue, King’s Park Avenue/Kingsburn Drive, Cathcart Road/Burnhill Street and Langlea Road/ Langlea Avenue.
Schools affected by the change will be St Columbkille’s, Bankhead, Calderwood, St Mark’s, Cathkin, Loch and St Anthony’s primaries as well as all four high schools.
Parents were told of the change in a letter from engineering manager Colin Park last week.
In it he says risk assessments have been carried out but warns parents it is up to them to assess their own child’s road safety awareness.
South Lanarkshire Council head of roads and transportation Gordon Mackay said:” The withdrawal of lunchtime school crossing patroller cover was agreed 20 months ago as part of a package of measures unanimously approved by the executive committee to meet the significant savings the council was required to find.”