Fire crew res­cue man from Castlemilk blaze

Rutherglen Reformer - - News - Dou­glas Dickie

A man had to be res­cued from a blaze in a Castlemilk flat on Sun­day night

Fire­fight­ers in breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus burst into the man’s liv­ing room and got him to safety.

He was taken to Hairmyres Hos­pi­tal suf­fer­ing from smoke in­hala­tion but was later re­leased.

Scot­tish Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice ( SFRS) crews were sent to the in­ci­dent at Castlemilk’s Dougrie Ter­race in re­sponse to a 999 call made shortly be­fore 7.25pm.

Ap­pli­ances were mo­bilised from Castlemilk and Pol­madie com­mu­nity fire sta­tions and first re­spon­ders reached the scene within four min­utes.

Watch Man­ager Steven McCusker, the in­ci­dent com­man­der, said: “The fire was within the liv­ing room. We com­mit­ted two fire­fight­ers in breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus and they ex­tin­guished it us­ing a high­pres­sure jet.

“They res­cued a man who ap­peared to be suf­fer­ing from smoke in­hala­tion and en­sured no- one else was in­side the prop­erty.”

Fire­fight­ers con­ducted sal­vage oper­a­tions within the flat be­fore leav­ing the scene shortly af­ter 8pm.

SFRS is­sued a warn­ing in the wake of the in­ci­dent, urg­ing peo­ple to min­imise the risk of fire.

They said elec­tri­cal ap­pli­ances, fur­ni­ture and soft fur­nish­ings, open fires and stoves, por­ta­ble heaters, can­dles and smok­ing ma­te­ri­als are all po­ten­tial fire haz­ards com­monly found in liv­ing rooms.

Watch Man­ager McCusker said: “When fire strikes within a home the toxic smoke pro­duced can very quickly spread to other rooms and threaten lives.

“Even if no-one is hurt it is a trau­matic ex­pe­ri­ence for any­one as the loss of ir­re­place­able per­sonal pos­ses­sions, the dam­age to a per­son’s sense of safety and the fi­nan­cial im­pact can all be dev­as­tat­ing.

“Although it can hap­pen to any­one there are very easy steps that ev­ery­one can take to make it less likely.”

Free home fire safety vis­its are avail­able from SFRS by call­ing the freep­hone num­ber 0800 073 1999 or by fill­ing in an online form at www.firescot­land.gov.uk.

Watch Man­ager McCusker added: “Ar­rang­ing a short visit from lo­cal fire­fight­ers is in­cred­i­bly easy and it gives us the chance to point out po­ten­tial haz­ards many peo­ple just don’t re­alise are in the home.

“We want to hear from any­one who thinks they or some­one they know could use our ad­vice and sup­port to help pre­vent fires and the tragedies they cause.

“Our crews also check to en­sure a home is pro­tected by work­ing smoke alarms and if these life­sav­ing de­vices are found to be needed then we’ll even pro­vide and in­stall them free of charge.”

They res­cued a man who ap­peared to be suf­fer­ing from smoke in­hala­tion

Flat fire A man was taken to hos­pi­tal af­ter a fire in Dougrie Drive

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.