Widow wants an­swers to hos­pi­tal treat­ment

Mar­garet claims nurse didn’t re­alise her hus­band had died

Rutherglen Reformer - - News - Strat­ton Wil­liams

A dev­as­tated Cam­bus­lang great-gran wants an­swers as to why a nurse tak­ing her hus­band’s blood pres­sure didn’t seem to re­alise he was dead.

Mar­garet Bain, of Cairns Av­enue, had been sit­ting at her hus­band’s bed­side for half-an­hour think­ing he was asleep.

But when a nurse came in to take the read­ings, Mar­garet men­tioned that she thought it strange that he hadn’t moved at all dur­ing the ex­am­i­na­tion.

“At that point a crash team was rushed in and I was told to leave the room,” said the 62-year -ld.

Then doc­tors at Hairmyres Hos­pi­tal broke the tragic news that her hus­band, John, had passed away and it had been too late for medics to try re­viv­ing him.

Mar­garet told our sis­ter pa­per the Sun­day Mail that she had called an am­bu­lance af­ter for­mer rail­way worker, John, be­came ill last Oc­to­ber.

“We were at the hos­pi­tal in min­utes,” said Mar­garet.

“I was told John would be kept in for ob­ser­va­tion and I should go home and rest.

“When I re­turned with my sons, Scott and John Paul, my hus­band said one of the doc­tors had told him he sus­pected a heart at­tack.”

Mar­garet says she was again sent home and when she re­turned a cou­ple of hours later, John had been moved into the room where he later died.

A post mortem gave the cause of death as haemoperi­cardium and rup­tured my­ocar­dial in­farc­tion – a blood clot and rup­ture of the heart.

Lawyer, Cameron Fyfe of Drum­mond Miller, said: “This was a hor­ri­ble ex­pe­ri­ence for any wife to en­dure.

“We are in­struct­ing med­i­cal ex­perts to as­cer­tain if John’s treat­ment was neg­li­gent and any­thing could have been done to pre­vent this tragedy.”

Dr He­len Mackie, Hairmyres Hos­pi­tal chief of med­i­cal ser­vices, said: “We’ve had no con­tact from the fam­ily to raise any con­cerns fol­low­ing Mr Bain’s death.

“We would be happy to meet with the fam­ily to ad­dress their con­cerns and we would ask them to con­tact us di­rectly to al­low us to ar­range this.”

In March this year, Mar­garet was dealt another dev­as­tat­ing blow when her son Scott slipped and fell at his Cam­bus­lang home and died the fol­low­ing day.

Mar­garet said: “As if we hadn’t suf­fered enough, we’ve lost Scott too.

“The lift had been bro­ken at the block of flats where he lived, and he slipped down a flight of stairs.

“He had ob­vi­ously not re­alised the ex­tent of his in­jury, went to bed, woke up the fol­low­ing morn­ing, had a shower, then col­lapsed and died.

“We just couldn’t be­lieve it.”

At that point a crash team was rushed in and I was told to leave the room

Tragedy John Bain’s widow is de­mand­ing an­swers to the treat­ment he re­ceived at Hairmyres Hos­pi­tal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.