Refurbishments plans at St Columbkille’s delayed
Delays have hit the ongoing refurbishment of St Columbkille’s Church.
And parishioners won’t be able to move back into the church, a Grade A listed building, until into 2016.
The church restoration project has been taking place over the past couple of years, and it took a step forward earlier this year when the Main Street parish secured a £15,000 National Churches Trust Community Grant.
At the end of June the church was then closed and services were moved to the Parish Hall instead.
However work has been developing slower than initially hoped for, which leaves early 2016 as the most likely return date.
Deacon Bill McMillan said: “There’s been a few delays unfortunately.
“Work hasn’t really got started yet because they’ve found a few architectural problems that need to be fixed first.
“That means that we’re looking at after Christmas and into the New Year before we can start moving back in.
“It does make things difficult to organise and is quite disappointing, but hopefully the work will get back on track soon.”
St Columbkille’s is an A-listed building dating from 1940, having replaced the original which was founded in 1851.
It is one of the few church buildings completed following the onset of the Second World War and was designed by the architects Gillespie, Kidd & Coia.
The grant they received earlier this year was to help fund the installation of accessible toilets as part of a major project to help make the church more accessible and reduce energy use.
The project also involves renewing heating, lighting, pews and the PA system, installing new boilers and building a new entrance porch and access ramps.
When the grant was first awarded, the National Churches Trust stated that the St Columbkille’s ”the building is a modern interpretation of Italian Romanesque architecture, with a common feature being a tall frontal tower.
“It has a massive façade with five arcaded bays at ground level with tall windows and sculptured stone statues of Christ and the four Evangelists set in niches along with bas reliefs.
“The Church is enriched by work commissioned from a number of artists include the painted mural ceilings to the Sacred Heart Chapel by Mr Walter Pritchard (Glasgow School of Art) and to the Lady Chapel by Mr William Crosbie, A. R. S. A. “These chapels are further embellished by marble work using marble from Connemara (Ireland) and Carrara (Italy).”
A total of 36 churches throughout Scotland, England. Wales and Ireland benefitted from the grants.
We’re looking at after Christmas and into the New Year before we can start moving back in
Delays St Columbkille’s has been held up with plans to refurbish the church