See­ing red cost Glen­cairn dear

Har­vey claims send­ing off changed the game

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sport - Mur­ray Spooner

Ruther­glen Glen­cairn boss Wil­lie Har­vey in­sists the red card in his side’s 3-0 de­feat to Ar­drossan Winton Rovers was a turn­ing point in the game.

The man­ager ad­mit­ted he wasn’t sure if it was a cer­tain send­ing off but knew that Andy Neil had let down his team mates.

The Glens man tan­gled with the legs of his op­po­nent and tried to wrig­gle free.

But he flicked out his boot off the ball and the ref­eree did not hes­i­tate in pro­duc­ing a red card which changed the flow of the game.

Har­vey said: “In the first half we played really well.

“We should have been 3-0 up at half time. In the sec­ond half we were up against it. We lost a goal straight af­ter the red card.

“It all changed af­ter the send­ing off and to­tally al­tered the game.

“In the first half we did ev­ery­thing but score.

“We had more pos­ses­sion, we were win­ning ev­ery­thing and were never un­der any threat. In the sec­ond half they had the wind at their backs and, in the first ten min­utes they bom­barded us.

“It was a silly send­ing off. I’m not sure if it was a red card be­cause I have not seen the in­ci­dent.

“Andy knows he has let the team down a bit.

“He apol­o­gised to the play­ers af­ter the game. I said to the play­ers af­ter the first half that I was happy with their per­for­mance, with their com­mit­ment and the way they were play­ing.

“With ten play­ers you are al­ways go­ing to get caught at the back.”

Har­vey in­tro­duced Glen­cairn un­der- 21 cap­tain, Ryan Ben­nett, into the game on Satur­day and handed a de­but to un­der-21 striker, Ja­son McArthur, who came off the bench. The Glens’ boss added: “They cer­tainly didn’t do them­selves any harm.

“Ryan has been a player we’ve been keep­ing an eye on. He’s the cap­tain of the 21s and is a very good player.”

Ruther­glen Glen­cairn have also an­nounced the ap­point­ment of their new first team coach.

Al­lan Colquhoun was un­veiled as Har­vey’s as­sis­tant last week.

Colquhoun made 64 ap­pear­ances as goal­keeper for Glen­cairn be­tween 2010 and 2013 and joins Har­vey and as­sis­tant man­ager, Joe Pryce, in the dugout.

Har­vey is pleased to get Colquhoun on board and said: “He’s a big char­ac­ter with a lot of ex­pe­ri­ence.

“He was one of the best goal­keep­ers in Ju­nior foot­ball in his day.

“Al­lan was my goal­keeper at Blan­tyre and he’s played for Glen­cairn as well.

“He’s a crack­ing guy and it will be great to have him in and about the dress­ing room.”

Ruther­glen Glen­cairn now have a two-week win­ter break be­fore their next fix­ture on Satur­day, Jan­uary 9.

Glen­cairn’s sched­ule for 2015 came to a dis­ap­point­ing end with a 3-0 de­feat away to Ar­drossan Winton Rovers - a re­sult which sucked the team back down into the four-team rel­e­ga­tion zone.

There were three changes to the start­ing line-up from the win at Bell­shill in the pre­vi­ous league match four week ago.

David Dun­nachie, Adam Ni­sanci and Mark Tait re­placed Graeme Brown, Adam Shaw and Paddy Cullen.

Ar­drossan should have taken the lead in the 24th minute when John Brad­ford sprung the off­side trap.

But he pulled his shot wide of the far post with only Hutchi­son to beat.

The Glens should have been ahead in the 42nd minute when they were al­most gifted the lead.

Hard work by Tait in chas­ing down de­fend­ers re­sulted in a rushed kick out by Wardrope which fell straight to McLaugh­lin.

But the striker missed the tar­get from 16 yards when he really should have picked his spot in the net.

Just as things were be­gin­ning to look op­ti­mistic for the trav­el­ling sup­port af­ter the in­ter­val, the match col­lapsed for Glen­cairn in a dis­as­trous two-minute spell just be­fore the hour mark.

A Glens at­tack ended with a tan­gle of play­ers mid­way in­side the Rovers’half and, as he tried to get free from his op­po­nent’s at­ten­tions, Andy Neil flicked out his boot off the ball, but in the full view of the as­sis­tant ref­eree.

The ref­eree didn’t hes­i­tate in pro­duc­ing a red card and the Glens were sud­denly on the back foot.

Boss Wil­lie Har­vey rushed to pre­pare a de­fen­sive sub­sti­tu­tion to shore up the hole at the back.

But be­fore Adam Shaw could be in­tro­duced, Ar­drossan took full ad­van­tage only two min­utes later as Jared Wil­lett’s cross from the left was headed into the net by Ian Reid.

The lead was dou­bled in the 72nd minute, as the ball took an awk­ward bounce over Dean Muir and Shaw’s clear­ance re­bounded from McGuire into the path of Gra­ham Boyd, who re­acted sharply to fire calmly past Hutchi­son from 10 yards.

Ar­drossan made it 3-0 with four min­utes re­main­ing as Ryan Cad­dis raced onto a ball over the top and slipped it un­der Hutchi­son as he raced­out to try to block.

Ruther­glen Glen­cairn : Hutchi­son, Dun­nachie, Neil, Doyle, Dean Muir, McGuire, Ni­sanci, Alan Muir (Shaw), McLaugh­lin, Tait (McArthur), Fraser (Ben­nett).

Turn­ing point Boss Wil­lie Har­vey

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.