Rutherglen Reformer - - News - Edel Ke­nealy

A fa­tal ac­ci­dent in­quiry into the death of Jim Lochrie ruled the tragedy could have been avoided had his First Bus col­league David Logue fol­lowed med­i­cal ad­vice to stay hy­drated.

Logue, then 42, fainted at the wheel of the dou­ble-decker he was driv­ing and ploughed into the bus stop where Jim was wait­ing to board on March 31, 2012.

Like bin lorry crash driver Harry Clarke, the in­quiry heard Logue failed to dis­close his med­i­cal his­tory af­ter black outs caused two ear­lier crashes.

It was re­vealed Logue crashed a bus on Mary­hill Road in Jan­uary 1998 af­ter faint­ing at the wheel, which he said was the re­sult of a car­dio-vas­cu­lar in­ci­dent.

A se­cond crash caused by faint­ing took place at a bus de­pot in June 2008 and was down to high blood pres­sure.

Logue’s li­cence was sus­pended both times but re­in­stated af­ter med­i­cal in­ves­ti­ga­tions. The crash in which Jim died was said by doc­tors to be caused by de­hy­dra­tion, Logue said.

Dur­ing the in­quiry, Craig Mur­ray, QC for the Lochrie fam­ily, ques­tioned Logue about an­other sus­pected faint in 2004 at the Vic­to­ria Road de­pot - where he worked with Jim - and a short vi­ral ill­ness in which he ex­pe­ri­enced dizzi­ness.

A col­league de­scribed how Logue had been feel­ing faint in the 2004 in­ci­dent but the driver de­nied this and said he fell as a re­sult of a loose rail­ing. In the fa­tal ac­ci­dent re­port, pub­lished in Novem­ber 2015, Sher­iff Ken­neth Mitchell said Logue was not fit to drive a bus af­ter the 2008 in­ci­dent.

He crit­i­cised doc­tors’“sloppy and in­ac­cu­rate”note-tak­ing as well as fail­ures by First Bus and the DVLA in not tak­ing him off the road back then.

In his judge­ment, the sher­iff said Logue was“an ac­ci­dent wait­ing to hap­pen”, adding:“At some point his med­i­cal con­di­tion was go­ing to re­sult in in­jury or death.”

Sher­iff Mitchell said First Bus could have pro­vided its med­i­cal of­fi­cer with a copy of an ear­lier ac­ci­dent re­port.

Had a de­tailed re­fer­ral been made, or had the GP been given the ac­ci­dent re­port, Mr Logue’s false re­port of the ac­ci­dent might have been in­ves­ti­gated.

“First bus did not let its left hand know what its right hand was do­ing,”the sher­iff re­ported.

Speak­ing af­ter the FAI re­port was pub­lished, a spokes­woman for First Bus said:“We be­lieve our oc­cu­pa­tional health poli­cies and pro­ce­dures, in­clud­ing med­i­cal as­sess­ments, meet le­gal stan­dards.

“We note Sher­iff Mitchell’s find­ing that no de­fect in our sys­tem con­trib­uted to the tragic ac­ci­dent in which James Lochrie died and will now care­fully con­sider the other find­ings.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.