Parents urged to take more responsibility for kids when visiting pools
Pool closed twice because of poo
The swimming pool at South Lanarkshire Leisure Eastfield had to be closed twice last year because of poo in the water.
Figures revealed by the Reformer’s sister paper, the Hamilton Advertiser, last week showed there had been 48 similar incidents across South Lanarkshire since April 2012.
But the two in Rutherglen during 2015/16 were the only ones recorded at the local pool in that period.
In contrast, Hamilton Water Palace had been closed 23 times.
Lanark Swimming Pool was second in the table and has been closed 10 times in the past four years due to poo in the pool.
The pool in Blantyre has been closed twice and the pool in Strathaven once.
Coalburn Swimming Pool has been closed six times in four years for the same reason, while the pool in Carluke has been closed twice.
Dollan Aqua Centre in East Kilbride has been closed twice.
Larkhall Swimming Pool is the only pool in the county not to have experienced a “floater”.
The figures have led to calls for parents to take more responsibility for kids in the water.
Many readers reacted to the news when we posted the story on our Facebook page last week.
Angela Blue wrote: “I used this pool for my daughter’s swimming classes years ago and stopped as I was disgusted with the smell and general lack of cleanliness as well as frustrated with overcrowding/always struggling for space/cubicles. Dollan Aqua Centre is further but far superior in every way, even got lessons myself.”
But Martin McKenna wrote: “Twice in four years ain’t bad going to be fair. If someone’s going to poo in the pool, accidentally or not, theres not much the people running the place can do. Be more concerning if they didn’t close the place and just scooped it out.”
And Terri McGrath said: “It happens everywhere. We got chucked out in Livingston bubbles because of one. Was closed for an hour to clean it up.”
South Lanarkshire Leisure and Culture ( SLLC) advise all parents of young children who are not potty trained to wear swim nappies. They also advise not swimming for at least 48 hours after vomiting or diarrhoea, and ideally not for 14 days.
Gerry Campbell, general manager of SLLC, says the council always closes the pools promptly on discovering a problem to carry out a clean.
He said: “When this happens we close the pool immediately and carry out a strict cleaning regime to ensure any harmful bacteria is removed.
“This is carried out in line with Pool Water Treatment Advisory Group guidelines.
“The timescale for this can vary based on volume of pool water, turnover and chemical treatment.
“For the 25-metre pool at Hamilton, this takes 36 hours. We apologise for the inconvenience to our customers but public health is our priority and we cannot take chances where health is concerned.
“Our staff are still paid when the pool is closed and we use this time to concentrate on other areas of cleaning in the centre.”
SLLC also advise encouraging young swimmers to use the toilets before, and ensure they leave the pool to use the toilet before it is too late; using the showers before entering; if you start to feel unwell, leave the water, and if you do have an accident, please let the lifeguards know immediately.
When this happens we close the pool immediately