Spoils shared in Ruther­glen derby

Burn­side United ...... 4 Ruther­glen Rovers .. 4

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sports - Mur­ray Spooner

Ruther­glen Rovers fought back from two goals down to score late on and claim a point at the hands of Burn­side United in a thrilling lo­cal derby.

The hosts drew first blood as they played the ball out from de­fence. Ross Mul­raine passed to Paul Hil­ston in mid­field be­fore he re­leased striker Andy Boyce and he charged for­ward to slot past the on­rush­ing ‘keeper.

They found them­selves 2-0 up as they won a cor­ner and Paul Hil­ston knocked in from close range fol­low­ing Grant Camp­bell’s header that was saved.

De­spite the set- back, the goals seemed to spur the Rovers on and they be­gan to up their game with Daniel Hart hit­ting the post from a header.

Shortly af­ter, Burn­side failed to clear their lines on the edge of the area and Frank Brady’s de­flected shot fell to Mark MacDon­ald to fin­ish past Rab Dun­can.

On the stroke of half-time Ruther­glen were level as good play on the edge of the United box saw Paul Skiv­ing­ton find space and score.

United started the sec­ond half brightly and had their third goal from the penalty spot. Rovers keeper Brian Welsh was ad­judged to have brought down Darren Barr in the box and Andy Boyce tucked home the re­sult­ing spot kick.

Jamie McIsaac’s men were quick to re­store their two goal ad­van­tage and man­aged it af­ter Grant Camp­bell was sent clear down the left and he squared the ball for Darren Barr to tap into an empty net.

Soon af­ter, Alan Hark­ness burst into the United box through a gap on the right and fired into the far cor­ner to re­duce the deficit to one.

Paul Skiv­ing­ton saw a curl­ing ef­fort strike the up­right and roll away but five min­utes from time Rovers had their equaliser. James Wil­son was af­forded the time to turn in the box from a Rovers’ cor­ner, and he struck a shot into the near post.

In the other match in Divi­sion 2C, Cam­bus­lang Football Academy lost 2-0 to Provan­mill This­tle.

Fern­hill United kept up their push for the Divi­sion One ti­tle with a 4-2 win over Kirk­in­til­loch Rob Roy.

Af­ter McGill was fouled in the box, Lee Car­racher slot­ted home from the penalty spot to give his side the lead.

McGill turned goalscorer to put United 2-1 up with a de­but goal.

Cameron added to the score­line for the hosts be­fore Car­racher sealed the three points with an out­stand­ing piece of bril­liance. He cut in from the right leav­ing two men in his wake be­fore un­leash­ing a thun­der­bolt from 20 yards that crashed off the un­der­side of the bar and over the line.

Mean­while, Kings Park won 6- 1 against Bish­op­briggs in Divi­sion 2B while Calder­side knocked Castlemilk Dy­namo out of the Ar­row Cars Cup quar­ter fi­nal with a 1-0 win.

Spring­hall Spar­tans won 5- 1 at home to Crown­point United. Andrew Cun­ning­ham, Scott Faulds, Mark Robert­son and two goals from Jor­dan Hamil­ton se­cured the vic­tory.

In the Pres­i­dents Cup quar­ter fi­nal Castlemilk United lost 4-3 to Al­bion.

Eight goal thriller Burn­side’s winger Darren Barr scores United’s fourth

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.