School trip to France cancelled because of security concerns
Dozens of youngsters from Rutherglen and Cambuslang have been left devastated as they are told all school trips to France are cancelled.
South Lanarkshire Council announced last Friday that it was pulling the plug on all excursions to two European countries because of safety concerns.
The local authority said two trips arranged by Cathkin and Trinity high schools are affected by the decision.
It said it was working with insurance companies to retrieve the full monies paid by parents, which the Reformer understands to be in the region of £350
Jim Gilhooly, executive director of education resources, said: “In light of recent events in parts of Europe, and following discussion with parents, we have taken the decision to cancel all forthcoming school trips to Paris and/ or Belgium.
“The safety of our pupils and staff has been paramount in this decision.
“All involved have received letters to this effect, which also confirm that parents will not be financially disadvantaged by this decision.”
Both students from Cathkin and Trinity high schools were due to travel to France by bus and ferry and when there visit Paris and Euro Disney.
One trip, scheduled for the end of May 2016, was for 56 S3 pupils for five days.
The other, scheduled for mid-June of this year, was for 21 pupils across a range of year groups for six days.
The Reformer understands that parents have so far been refunded a portion of the total cost of the trip, while the council is working with its insurer to recoup the money spent on deposits.