Know the rules be­fore plan­ning your ex­ten­sion

Rutherglen Reformer - - Property -

Big home im­prove­ments like loft con­ver­sions and ex­ten­sions can of­ten be done un­der your home’s per­mit­ted de­vel­op­ment (PD) rights.

It means you don’t need plan­ning per­mis­sion, as long as you stick to the rules gov­ern­ing width, height, ma­te­ri­als.

You can ap­ply to your lo­cal coun­cil for a law­ful de­vel­op­ment cer­tifi­cate for build­ing work that doesn’t re­quire plan­ning per­mis­sion.

When you come to sell your home, this cer­tifi­cate can be re­ally use­ful be­cause it proves to the buyer and their so­lic­i­tor that the work is law­ful.

The PD rules can be dif­fer­ent for dif­fer­ent types of house – with loft con­ver­sions, the per­mit­ted size is 40 cu­bic me­tres in ter­raced houses, and 50 cu­bic me­tres in de­tached and semi-de­tached houses.

The PD rules can also be dif­fer­ent on “des­ig­nated land”, which in­cludes con­ser­va­tion ar­eas and Ar­eas of Out­stand­ing Nat­u­ral Beauty. For ex­am­ple, loft con­ver­sions are not per­mit­ted de­vel­op­ment on des­ig­nated land. If your home is listed, the rules are much stricter and even mi­nor al­ter­ations can re­quire listed build­ing con­sent from your lo­cal coun­cil.

Flats and maisonettes don’t have PD rights and some houses have had theirs re­moved – this is some­times the case on des­ig­nated land. Per­mit­ted de­vel­op­ment isn’t just about ma­jor build­ing work; if your home doesn’t have PD rights, you may need plan­ning per­mis­sion for things as sim­ple as erect­ing a gar­den shed, deck­ing your gar­den and paint­ing the build­ing’s exter­ior.

Un­til May 30, 2016, most houses (ex­cep­tions ap­ply) can build a longer rear ex­ten­sion with­out plan­ning per­mis­sion than would nor­mally be al­lowed un­der per­mit­ted de­vel­op­ment.

For de­tached houses, rear ex­ten­sions can be 8 me­tres in­stead of 4 me­tres long, and for at­tached houses, 6 me­tres in­stead of 3 me­tres.

How­ever, the coun­cil will con­sult your im­me­di­ate neigh­bours about your planned ex­ten­sion and if any ob­ject, it can up­hold their ob­jec­tion and refuse per­mis­sion for the ex­ten­sion.

To find out about plan­ning rules, go to www.plan­ning­por­, where the in­for­ma­tion in­cludes guides to build­ing projects and an in­ter­ac­tive house and ter­race.

How­ever, the most ac­cu­rate way to find out which rules and reg­u­la­tions ap­ply to your home and pro­posed build­ing project is to speak to your lo­cal coun­cil.

You may not re­alise, for ex­am­ple, that you live on des­ig­nated land or in a house that has had its PD rights re­moved so it’s best to check it out.

This cer­tifi­cate can be re­ally use­ful be­cause it proves to the buyer and their so­lic­i­tor that the work is law­ful

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.