Glen­cairn on a roll

Harvey’s men ex­tend gap with three wins in-a-row

Rutherglen Reformer - - Reader Travel - Peter Fer­gu­son

Ruther­glen Glen­cairn moved into the top half of the league ta­ble as they made it three wins in-a-row and five wins out of seven league matches with vic­tory over Bell­shill Ath­letic.

Wil­lie Harvey made only one change from the start­ing team with Tony Fraser drop­ping out with a ham­string in­jury and be­ing re­placed on the left of mid­field by Danny Salah.

Ryan Docherty’s surg­ing runs out of de­fence have be­come a fea­ture in re­cent matches, and he surged for­ward in the fifth minute and forced a save out of Bell­shill keeper Mark Peat. A cou­ple of min­utes later a curl­ing free­kick by Alan Muir was saved by Peat.

Bell­shill’s first proper ef­fort on goal came in the 12th minute, Gary McGrath’s glanc­ing header be­ing saved by home keeper JC Hutchi­son.

The dead­lock was bro­ken in the 16th minute with a well-worked goal. Del McNab found space on the right of mid­field and surged for­ward, be­fore slip­ping a per­fectly timed pass into the path of Mark Batch­e­lor, who took an ex­cel­lent first touch be­fore drilling his shot un­der Peat to make it 1-0 to Glen­cairn.

Muir’s cor­ner in the 41st minute was driven in low and flashed right across goal with no­body able to ap­ply the fin­ish.

Both teams were un­changed for the start of the sec­ond half and Glen­cairn were pressed back.

Bell­shill found their way to goal for an equaliser in the 52nd minute.

A cross lifted into the penalty area wasn’t dealt with by the home de­fence, and Lee Ni­chol swiv­elled to shoot from eight yards out. The ball re­bounded from the post, then re­bounded off the un­for­tu­nate JC Hutchi­son and flew into the cor­ner of the goal­keeper’s own net.

As the match moved into its fi­nal quar­ter, Duffy cut along the by­line and squared across goal but the ball was hooked off the line just be­fore Eadie could poke it into the net.

McGrath was con­tin­u­ing to prove to be a dan­ger to the home de­fence, and he got his head to a cross by Chris McQuade in the 76th minute but his ef­fort flew well wide of goal.

But the Glens took the lead again two min­utes later with a de­light­ful team goal.

Hutchi­son started the move by rolling the ball to Docherty, who in turn fed Alan Muir. The mid­fielder looked up and slipped a lovely pass through the de­fence to Batch­e­lor, who rounded the goal­keeper and then chipped the ball per­fectly onto the head of Sean McGuire, who sim­ply couldn’t miss from six yards out.

Two min­utes later Peat pro­duced an out­stand­ing save to deny Duffy as the big striker latched onto a ball over the top of the de­fence, the goal­keeper tip­ping Duffy’s drilled shot round the post.

The home sup­port­ers held their breath in the 85th minute as it looked like Hutchi­son’s night­mare was go­ing to re­peat it­self. McQuade fired in a rocket of a shot which re­bounded from the bar and once again hit Hutchi­son. The ball rolled ag­o­nis­ingly to­wards goal, but Eadie raced in to the res­cue to hook the ball off the goal line.

Bell­shill al­most grabbed an equaliser in the 93rd minute. A long throw from the left bounced about the penalty area, be­fore a shot was stabbed to­wards goal and de­flected inches wide of the post.

The Glens held on for the three points, and it lifted the side up two places to seventh in the league ta­ble.

Chances Alan Muir went close for Glen­cairn in the first half

On a run Ryan Docherty bursts for­ward from de­fence

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.