Rutherglen Reformer - - Sport -

Glen­cairn came from 2- 0 down with six min­utes left on the clock to se­cure a point in an en­thralling Cam­bus­lang and Ruther­glen derby.

Hal Bohme, Mark Bishop, Ryan Kerr and David Dunn made up the new-look Lang back four, while Paul McColl gave de­buts to young­sters Dale Simeon, Dy­lan Hendry, Alessan­dro Savarese and Colin Boy­lan.

Wil­lie Har­vey gave first com­pet­i­tive starts to no fewer than six of his sum­mer sign­ings, in­clud­ing Craig McGre­gor, Jamie Hamil­ton and Jay McKay.

The visi­tors had the bet­ter of the first- half chances. In the sec­ond minute Paddy Cullen clev­erly played McKay in on the right wing be­fore he re­turned the pass and his strike part­ner clipped the shot wide.

Mark Bishop, who was up against his for­mer side, made a clin­i­cal last­ditch chal­lenge to deny McKay in the six-yard box as he was set to pull the trig­ger on seven min­utes.

Cam­bus­lang had their first ef­fort two min­utes later when Dunn’s cross from the left found Macleod. The tricky winger nod­ded the ball down for David­son but the striker fired high over.

Har­vey was forced into mak­ing an early sub­sti­tu­tion as Alan Muir limped off with an injury and was re­placed by Ryan Ben­nett.

Cam­bus­lang took the lead on 34 min­utes. David Dunn lifted the ball beau­ti­fully from the left for Macleod at the back post to head into the net from close range.

The Glens looked to hit back quickly through Del McNab and Jamie Hamil­ton but both their ef­forts flew wide of the mark. Cam­bus­lang: Ste­wart, Bohme, Dunn, Kerr, Bishop, Boy­lan (Scott), Macleod (Stu­art David­son), Simeon, Savarese, Bob David­son, Hendry (New­man). Glen­cairn : Hutchi­son, Hall, Fraser, Don­ald­son, McGre­gor, Muir (Ben­nett), McNab (Brown), Mar­shall, McKay, Cullen (Team), Hamil­ton.

Hamil­ton forced Ste­wart into a su­perb save low to his right as Glen­cairn put The Lang un­der se­vere pres­sure in the sec­ond half and the Lang num­ber one col­lected a poor McKay ef­fort sec­onds later.

The derby was not with­out its hot-tempered mo­ments as Ben­nett clat­tered Boy­lan and Simeon was booked for a chal­lenge on Mar­shall on the edge of the Lang penalty area.

On 66 min­utes David­son nearly set up Lang’s sec­ond. His drive across goal was tipped away from the feet of Saverese by Hutchi­son, and the dan­ger was cleared.

Mar­shall hit a pow­er­ful strike that had both sets of fans ap­plaud­ing Ste­wart as he con­tin­ued to keep out the Glen­cairn’s long-range ef­forts.

McColl re­placed Hendry with de­fender Neil New­man on 71 min­utes and The Lang bagged their sec­ond mo­ments later.

Savarese, who was prov­ing a hand­ful for The Glens de­fence all af­ter­noon, took his marker down the right wing. He made his way to the by­line be­fore McGre­gor slipped and the striker found a yard of space to drive a low cross into the six-yard box for David­son, who took a touch away from the de­fender be­fore flick­ing the ball be­yond Hutchi­son.

With time run­ning out for The Glens, Fraser Team ran on to a long ball for­ward and pulled his shot nar­rowly wide as Glen­cairn upped the ante once more.

McNab set up McKay just in­side the area on 76 min­utes but he shot straight down Ste­wart’s throat.

As David­son was de­nied by Hutchi­son’s leg, Glen­cairn fi­nally broke the Lang de­fence who had per­formed hero­ically for 83 min­utes. Ste­wart Hall’s cross came invit­ingly in from the right wing and McGre­gor rose high­est to head past Ste­wart.

And in added time Jamie Hamil­ton col­lected the ball from Antony Fraser be­fore skip­ping be­tween New­man and Ge­orge Scott. From 25 yards out the 21-year-old un­leashed a ter­rific strike with his right foot that bent into Ste­wart’s top left-hand cor­ner to give his side a well de­served point.

All square Lang’s Mark Bishop in first half ac­tion

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.