Bully Wee get off and run­ning

Fer­gu­son praises side for good dis­play

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sport -

Clyde’s search for League Two glory got off to a win­ning start with an im­pres­sive dis­play at home to Mon­trose.

Barry Fer­gu­son’s men opened the scor­ing on 25 min­utes when Dy­lan Eas­ton cut in from the right and drilled home from 25 yards.

Chris Tem­ple­man headed the Gable Endies level from a Gra­ham Web­ster cross ten min­utes af­ter the restart.

But 15 min­utes from time Bully Wee sub­sti­tute Matt Flynn sealed the win af­ter he got on the end of a Pe­ter Mac­Don­ald cross to score with a ter­rific left-foot shot.

Clyde boss Fer­gu­son said: “It was a good start to the sea­son. We played some re­ally good stuff at times.

“We de­served the win but there are still some things for us to work on. The most im­por­tant thing was to get a win un­der our belt.”

Fer­gu­son’s start­ing line-up in­cluded six play­ers mak­ing their league de­but for the club - Mc­Neil, Low­don, McNiff, Eas­ton, John­ston and Mac­Don­ald - with the re­turn­ing Michael Oliver also in­cluded in the team.

The Bully Wee started the match strongly and Ewan Mc­Neil came close to scor­ing when his swerv­ing shot from dis­tance forced Jor­dan Mil­lar into an un­ortho­dox save.

How­ever, af­ter that bright start the visi­tors en­joyed a good spell and had two great chances to score. Mon­trose’s tri­al­ist de­fender brought out a su­perb save from John Gibson with a close-range header and Chris Tem­ple­man just missed the tar­get from in­side the box when he looked odds-on to score.

Back at the other end Scott Lin­ton tested Mil­lar with a good ef­fort from out­side the box, which the Mon­trose ’keeper tipped over the bar.

Af­ter 25 min­utes Dy­lan Eas­ton opened the scor­ing with a fan­tas­tic goal. The 22-yearold, who cel­e­brated the birth of his son on Thurs­day, picked the ball up in mid­field, cre­ated space for him­self and fired an un­stop­pable shot into the top cor­ner of the net from 25 yards out.

Clyde striker Pe­ter Mac­Don­ald had two at­tempts on goal as half-time ap­proached, firstly hit­ting the tar­get with a di­rect free-kick and then turn­ing sharply in the box but Mil­lar again de­nied him.

Ten min­utes into the sec­ond half the Gable Endies equalised when Tem­ple­man got away from Oliver in the box and squeezed a header past Gibson and into the cor­ner of the net.

The Bully Wee’s re­sponse was al­most im­me­di­ate, as David Gorm­ley’s div­ing header from Eas­ton’s free-kick de­liv­ery went just wide of the near post.

As Clyde pushed for a win­ner Mac­Don­ald saw his header pushed on to the cross­bar by Mil­lar.

With 75 min­utes on the clock a fine team move pro­duced a sec­ond Clyde goal. Mc­Neil and Eas­ton con­trib­uted in get­ting the ball to the edge of the box, Mac­Don­ald’s neat touch found sub­sti­tute Matt Flynn and he coolly found the bot­tom cor­ner of the net.

Great start Clyde boss Barry Fer­gu­son

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.