Glen­cairn un­lucky in the draw... again

‘Cairn de­nied bla­tant pen in share of the spoils

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sport -

Glen­cairn recorded their third draw against rel­e­gated teams in the first five games of the league sea­son at the week­end.

Once again, though, the Glen­cairn sup­port­ers were left won­der­ing ex­actly how their team were not awarded a penalty kick.

Af­ter an early spell of pres­sure from Peter­shill, Glen­cairn took the lead in the 12th minute. Ryan McAr­dle’s pre­cise pass up the left wing picked out the run of Fraser Team, who showed his marker a clean pair of heels be­fore his com­posed fin­ish.

Glen­cairn looked to cap­i­talise on their early lead, and Team headed over be­fore Liam Fin­ni­gan fired across goal and wide at the other end.

The home sup­port­ers were ex­tremely vo­cal when the ref ig­nored a push in the back on Team as he rose to meet Jay McKay’s cross.

Glen­cairn goal­keeper JC Hutchi­son had to look sharp to block away a cou­ple of close range ef­forts af­ter a spell of Peter­shill cor­ners.

Peter­shill started the sec­ond half on the front foot, and Chris Hall was un­lucky not to equalise with a shot from 18 yards which smacked off the in­side of the post.

The vis­i­tors were level in the 54th minute. Hutchi­son made ex­cel­lent saves in the build-up to the goal, but the stopper was beaten when Chris Wil­son’s shot took a slight de­flec­tion off de­fender Craig McGre­gor’s head and found its way into the cor­ner of the net. Peasy then edged in front when the ref­eree awarded a penalty kick for Ryan Docherty’s push on Stu­art McCann. Liam Fin­ni­gan stepped up to fire past Hutchi­son.

The game had com­pletely turned on its head since the in­ter­val, but Glen­cairn were not for rolling over.

Jamie Hamil­ton’s shot slipped a cou­ple of feet wide of the tar­get, then more good goal­keep­ing by Hutchi­son kept his side in the game as he de­nied an an­gled shot by McCann. The same player went even closer shortly af­ter this but he could not turn the ball on tar­get from right in front of goal.

That lucky es­cape in­spired Glen­cairn to get back on the front foot again. Tony Fraser’s free kick from 20 yards was saved on the goalline by Michael Whyte.

The Glens got the equaliser they de­served in the 77th minute. Fraser’s cor­ner from the right was re­cy­cled back out to him, and this time the cross picked out the head of Del McNab at the back post, and he made no mis­take.

Fraser’s drilled shot from 25 yards was well saved by Whyte on the dive to his left. The last big chance of the game saw Fraser’s invit­ing free kick met at the back post by Hamil­ton, but his shot back across goal slipped inches wide of the far post.

Glens will now travel to face Shotts on Satur­day. They were also drawn to play away at Cum­ber­nauld in the Scot­tish Cup.

Ruther­glen Glen­cairn: Hutchi­son, Hall, Fraser, Docherty, McGre­gor, Mar­shall, McNab, Ben­nett (Cullen), Team, McAr­dle (Hamil­ton), McKay (McGuire).

Cam­bus­lang Rangers handed out an 8-2 drub­bing to the side that won the Sec­ond Divi­sion last sea­son, Forth Wan­der­ers.

The home side were a shadow of the team that fin­ished top and Cam­bus­lang were strides ahead in ev­ery area on Satur­day.

A tri­al­ist striker did his con­tract chances no harm by notch­ing five goals af­ter cap­tain Bob David­son dropped to the bench.

Lang took the lead af­ter nine min­utes when Ma­cLeod found the tri­al­ist spare in the box and he knocked home his first.

As half time ap­proached the tri­al­ist skipped past a de­fender and lifted the ball over the ex­posed keeper to dou­ble the Lang’s lead at the break.

Within five min­utes of the restart it was three for the vis­i­tors and a hat-trick for the tri­al­ist. He nicked the ball off the labour­ing Schoneville and, with only the keeper to beat, calmly slot­ted un­der him.

Cam­bus­lang could eas­ily have gone down to 10 men af­ter a late tackle by Bishop caught Tait but the ref showed only a yel­low.

A cou­ple of min­utes later Forth grabbed one back af­ter some slack de­fend­ing let Tait to rise and head be­yond Ste­wart’s reach.

The vis­i­tors re­stored their three-goal ad­van­tage min­utes later when Simeon nod­ded home at the back post.

It was five on 66 min­utes through Ma­cLeod afer a slight de­flec­tion took his shot past Cher­rie in the Forth goal.

Cam­bus­lang’s sixth came from the tri­al­ist as he again pounced on an er­ror by Forth cen­tre-half Schoneville.

On 72 min­utes the tri­al­ist grabbed his fifth, and Lang’s sev­enth, when he fired home from close range.

The rout was com­plete on 75 min­utes when Simeon grabbed his sec­ond.

There was amaze­ment when the ref awarded the home side a penalty kick, as not one Forth player had claimed for any­thing yet the ref­eree saw some in­fringe­ment and pointed top the spot.

David Dunn, who joined Forth from the Lang a cou­ple of weeks ago, stepped up and fired past Ste­wart. CAM­BUS­LANG: Ste­wart, Geb­bie, Hal­l­i­day, Kerr, Bishop, Scott, Bohme, Simeon, tri­al­ist, Kil­martin, Ma­cLeod. Con­grats Glens play­ers cel­e­brate, above, af­ter tak­ing the lead through Fraser Team, right, who wheels away af­ter net­ting

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.