Concern kids or dogs could suffer
Fears have been raised that dogs and even young children could be at risk after suspicious ‘pellets’ were found in Overtoun Park.
It is suspected the blue items are toxic, with Facebook users saying they could be slug pellets or even rat poison as a picture of them was posted online.
Fears have been raised that strange pellets found in Overtoun Park may by poisonous.
The blue items have been spotted by at least two members of the public at a bench near the north Mill Street entrance to the park.
And the news has promoted concerns that someone is putting the lives of animals, and potentially children, at risk.
After a picture of the pellets was posted on Facebook, many people said that they recognised them as toxic slug pellets or even rat poison.
Both are potentially harmful to other wildlife, while some people have even raised concerns about children picking them up and putting them in their mouths.
The picture was posted by Robert Cumberland from Fernhill.
He was at Overtoun walking his black Labrador Eva when he noticed the pellets.
He said: “Eva was about to start eating it.
“There was another lady there who said she had noticed it earlier and it had looked like it had been mixed with Bisto.
“I am in the park most days and other dog walkers said it has happened before.
“It’s right out in the open and there’s a lot of it.
“I don’t know why someone would do this.
“Maybe it’s because some owners don’t clean up after their dog or someone is resentful of dogs in the park.”
Elaine Devlin, a member of the Friends of Overtoun Park group, said they had been contacted by a member of the public about pellets. She added: “We don’t know what it is.
“We had a problem with rat poison before in the park.
“People put it on Facebook, which is great, but you need to contact the council if you see it and they will come out and clean it up.
“The council are good for that. No-one wants a dog or a child being poisoned.
“Please phone land services as well. The number is 0303 123 1020.”
Alistair McKinnon, head of facilities, waste and ground services at the council said the pellets had now been cleared and confirmed council staff were not baiting rodents in the park.
He added: “The grounds operatives who maintain the park will continue to monitor the area and clean up any further instances should they occur.”
PC Laura Taylor of Rutherglen Police’s safer communities team warned that whoever was putting the pellets down could be committing a crime if they are harmful.
She added: “It is a criminal offence to wilfully cause harm to a wild animal or dog or to expose them to harm due to a reckless act.
“I would hope that no member of the public would intentionally cause harm to an animal.
“Please be mindful of the items that you discard within public parks, particularly litter, as this can be extremely dangerous to all types of animals.”
It’s in the open and there’s lots. I don’t know why someone would do this
Concern Robert Cumberland with dog Eva