Outrage over rat poison scattered in public park
Pellets a danger to animals as well as youngsters
News that a member of the public was spreading rat poison in a Rutherglen Park shocked everyone in the community.
The Rutherglen Reformer broke the news last week that blue pellets - typically used as slug pellets or rat poison - were found in Overtoun Park.
Shoppers in Burnside last week told the Reformer they were outraged.
Caitlin Gunn, who works at Ace Place Nursery, said the poison was not only a danger to animals but children too.
She said: “We take kids to the park all the time. The colour of those blue pellets would catch their attention.
“If they had that on their hands and they put their hands in their mouth, it would be dangerous. They put everything and anything in their mouths.”
Fellow shopper Anna Crichton said: “We would use Overtoun Park. I’m so surprised that members of the public would do that; it’s so dangerous.”
William Paterson, of Burnside, said it posed a major risk to dogs, stating it was in their nature to sniff things on the ground.
“I used to have two dogs, a rescue dog from the Dog’s Trust and a poodle,” William said. “I used to take the dogs for a walk in the park.
“Hopefully they will get a hold of whoever it was.”
Billy Robertson said he could not understand why someone would lay poison in the park, but said dog fouling had become a major problem in the town.
“I stay on East Main Street and across the road from me there’s a bit towards the railway where people take their dogs but they won’t pick up their faeces. If you took your kids there that’s dangerous.”
But he added: “What they’ve done, that’s not nice.”
Visitor to Overtoun Park Anna Crichton
Former dog owner William Patterson
Think of children Caitlin Gunn
Dangerous Billy Robertson