Animal charity think pellets were harmful
Safety tips offered
A wildlife charity are investigating reports of poison pellets in Overtoun Park.
The Scottish Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals ( SSPCA) have confirmed they were informed about the incident.
And they say the location and amount of pellets suggest they were placed there to purposefully harm an animal.
The Reformer reported last week that dog walker Rob Cumberland had made the worrying discovery.
An undercover inspector from the SSPCA’s special investigations unit said: “It looks like a whole canister was used and the council are confident that it was not them.
“There has previously been a report of a large pile of gelled gravy in the park but we can’t say for sure if it was poisoned.”
Meanwhile, a Rutherglen vet has suggested safety tips for concerned dog walkers.
Ronan McConville, who owns Avenues on Woodside Avenue, said: “The concern would obviously be either that the pellets are slug bait or rat poison because obviously some dogs will swallow it and could be poisoned.
“Owners would be advised to take their dogs on a leash and take extra caution when out. As a pet owner myself that’s what I would do.
“I would imagine it’s someone who’s disgruntled with dog poo or something like that who is leaving the pellets.
“There are various different colours in these sort of pellets, depending on what toxins are contained in them, so they could show up in different colours, not just the blue ones that have been spotted.
“I t ’ s someone wi t h malevolent intentions that is doing this.”
Concern The pellets were discovered at this bench by Robert Cumberland who was walking his dog Eva