Goodie won’t be bul­lied says Mac

Praise for hat-trick scorer af­ter El­gin vic­tory

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sports -

Clyde’s con­tro­ver­sial striker David Good­willie hit a sec­ond half hattrick as they staged a re­mark­able come­back from two goals down to clinch a 3-2 win over El­gin City.

Good­willie was con­victed of rape by a civil court and quit Ply­mouth Ar­gyle ear­lier this sea­son, but re­turned to foot­ball at Broad­wood.

His three goals on Satur­day eased The Bully Wee’s SPFL sur­vival hopes as they jumped above Ber­wick Rangers on goal dif­fer­ence.

Clyde’s joint care­taker player-man­ager Peter MacDon­ald said: “Goodie took a lot of stick from their fans so to go and pro­duce a per­for­mance like that was great.

“It was great for him to get a hat-trick and he showed some cool fin­ishes. I thought we thor­oughly de­served the win.”

The Bully Wee had a dread­ful start, con­ced­ing the opener af­ter just two min­utes with a de­fen­sive blun­der.

De­fender Kerr Wad­dell mis­cued an at­tempted pass back from the mid­dle of his own half and Chris McLeish seized on it to run in on goal and slot a neat low shot past keeper Kyle Gourlay into the bot­tom right cor­ner.

They fought back with David Gormely fizzing a low drive into the side net­ting on 10 min­utes be­fore Good­willie clipped the top of the bar with a lofted shot five min­utes later.

How­ever, City hit a sec­ond goal just be­fore the half hour when Dan Moore pumped a deep cross from the left to the back of the box where Chris Dodd gath­ered then slammed a fierce six yard shot across Gourlay into the net.

Clyde tried to claw their way back and again Good­willie came close, this time end­ing a fine run into the box by crack­ing an ef­fort off the in­side of the left post three min­utes from the in­ter­val.

The striker fi­nally gained his re­ward af­ter the break when he pounced on a mishit clear­ance in 52 min­utes to then win a 50-50 with keeper Marc Waters and run the ball into the un­guarded net for his first goal.

And it didn’t take long for him to level the game six min­utes later.

Good­willie ran onto a quickly taken free­kick by Gorm­ley, was forced wide by keeper Waters but re­gained his com­po­sure to squeeze home an an­gled shot from seven yards.

Gorm­ley would turn sin­ner a cou­ple min­utes later by gift­ing City a penalty with a hand­ball, but Bully Wee keeper Gourlay su­perbly turned away the spot kick from skip­per Thomas Reilly.

Good­willie com­pleted his tre­ble by turn­ing in the box to whack a 12-yard shot be­yond Waters on 65 min­utes.

Sick­ened City boss Jim Weir said: “These play­ers have lost too many bat­tles re­cently. The de­fend­ing was ab­so­lutely em­bar­rass­ing at times.”

Clyde visit league lead­ers For­far Ath­letic this Satur­day in a 3pm kick off.

Hat-trick David Good­willie gave Clyde some breath­ing space at the bot­tom of League Two

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.