Rutherglen Reformer - - U21s Cup Final Preview -

Round 1, Sep 7: Pol­lok Ju­ve­niles 1-8 Glen­cairn

The young Glens pro­duced a slick per­for­mance to ham­mer Pol­lok and ease into the next round.

The flood­gates opened af­ter only four min­utes as An­ton Phinn gave the Glens the lead. The mid­fielder then dou­bled his tally on 12 min­utes while Con­nor McGui­ness and Paul Ross Caughey made it 4-0 at half-time.

Eoghan McKe­own con­verted Phinn’s cross af­ter the break while Jor­dan David­son came off the bench to score. Phinn’s spot-kick and a Greg Kane ef­fort com­pleted the rout.

Round 2, Oct 1: Arthurlie Ju­niors 1-8 Glen­cairn

An­ton Phinn claimed a 21-minute hat-trick as Glen­cairn steam­rolled Arthurlie Ju­niors.

Two suc­cess­ful penalty kicks either side of a great ef­fort from the teen put the Glens in the driv­ing seat.

Eoghan McKe­own and Paul Ross Caughey stretched their side’s lead to 5-0 .

Two min­utes into the sec­ond half Caughey hit the net again be­fore Dale Camp­bell slot­ted home for num­ber seven.

Caughey claimed a hat-trick of his own on 82 min­utes.

Round 3, Oct 29: West Park United 2-2 Glen­cairn

This match was a fan­tas­tic ad­vert for un­der 21s foot­ball which saw a late change of pitch, four goals, a last minute equaliser, a send­ing off and two missed penal­ties.

Njablo Ndlovu scored the first goal from a re­bound and An­ton Phinn missed a penalty.

United equalised be­fore half-time and in­de­ci­sion at the edge of the box al­lowed West Park to take the lead.

On 63 min­utes the Glens missed another penalty be­fore Eoghan McKe­own smashed home deep into in­jury time.

Round 3 (re­play), Nov 12: Glen­cairn 3-2 West Park

Chris Trues­dale made a stun­ning last minute save to land the Glens a quar­ter fi­nal place.

Craig Dal­las crossed low and hard for Paul Ross Caughey to open the scor­ing.

On 33 min­utes Caughey made it 2- 0 be­fore United pulled one back.

The Glens bat­tled on and Div Quinn dis­patched a penalty.

They held on un­til the 88th minute when West Park scored a won­der strike to make it 3 - 2 be­fore Trues­dale held a pow­er­ful strike late on.

Quar­ter-fi­nal, Feb 11: St Mungo 1-3 Glen­cairn

The young Glens trav­elled to play St Mungo who had not been beat in 90 min­utes all sea­son.

De­spite count­less saves from keeper Chris Trues­dale, Mungo fi­nally took the lead when a ball was bun­dled home from six yards. An­ton Phinn equalised just be­fore the break.

Two out­stand­ing saves from the Saints keeper kept a ram­pant Glen­cairn at bay but he could not keep out Div Quinn’s penalty kick. Con­nor McGui­ness then smashed a screamer from 35 yards out high into the net.

Semi-fi­nal, April 9: Glen­cairn 1-0 Tower Hearts

Jor­dan David­son hit a 79th minute win­ner to see off league lead­ers Tower Hearts and send Glen­cairn into the fi­nal.

Both teams seemed to be play­ing ner­vously and there was very lit­tle free-flow­ing foot­ball.

How­ever, the oc­ca­sion prob­a­bly dic­tated the edgi­ness, and it seemed one goal would win it. And the dead­lock was fi­nally bro­ken when the ball fell be­hind the Tower de­fence for David­son who was first to re­act and squeezed a shot past McLean and into the cor­ner of the net.

Hit­man An­ton Phinn

Co-man­ager Alex McArthur

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.